iPad iPad Air user: three surprises with Air 2 and responses to it

Discussion in 'iPad' started by roberticus70, Oct 26, 2014.

1. roberticus70 macrumors newbie

Owning an iPad Air, I was surprised by three things this week:

1. How quick most reviewers were to conclude that despite the many upgrades (double the ram, almost double the processor speed, bonded screen, anti-glare, thinness, touch ID, etc) it didn't *justify* an upgrade for Air users. Anyone else, certainly, but not if you have last year's iPad.

2. The experience of holding the new air in the store for the first time. I knew within a matter of seconds that this was a major step forward for the iPad, probably the largest since the iPad 3 with retina and the Air itself. It wasn't simply a few small tweaks. It's a very different iPad. Not one that I could now ignore and go on using my older Air thinking ’this is just as good.’

3. To much relief, but still surprise, a number of Air owners have posted here to say that they too thought this was a substantial upgrade and made the leap, spending another $500 or $600 (at least) despite having spent over $500 on an iPad only a year ago. In short, despite the seeming unanimity among reviewers, I'm surprised that so many Air users here agree that this is a worthwhile upgrade despite having paid so much so recently for another one. In other words, I'm not crazy. Or I'm not alone in sounding crazy.

I think the disconnect for a lot of people, including reviewers, is that the first Air was so good and still is that it's hard reconcile this with the idea of spending so much money so soon.

If you have an Air and bought an Air 2, how do you *justify* spending so much so soon? I know it's a much better iPad. But the Air is still a very good iPad as well.

Is it pure indulgence?

2. donnaw macrumors 65816

Well, for me, I justify the expense because our family does the 'hand-me-down' thing'. I had the Air 1, my husband had my older 3 (with 64g storage) my grandson had my husband's 3 (that had 32g storage), and my granddaughter has the 2. My husband has been complaining about the 3 since iOS 8.

So in my mind I justify it because HE needs a better iPad. The kids' work fine for what they do. But now I get to do the 'backup, restore dance on 4 ipads'

Lol, in reality, I'm getting older so waiting for next year, ha -I might not be alive for that. Plus I can easily aftord to upgrade whenever I want. And I was sooooo tired of refreshes, crashed apps, etc.

Short of it, the 2g of Ram and extra processing power did it for me. I love tech, love getting new tech. Don't create much content these days so an iPad pretty much does it all for me.

My new Air 2 is pretty much perfect. I won the screen lottery, no bleeding, no distorations, nice even color. The vibrations don't bother me, in fact I like the better sound - my Air 1 was a bit quiet.

All in all, I'm rather happy with my upgrade.

Oh, and for once it is really true - Safari really IS snappier!!

3. RebornProphet, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

RebornProphet Suspended

I've always upgraded every year, I buy our iPads through my work who run a plan where they provide an iPad and the cost is deducted from our salary over 12 months. The only down side is that it's every summer, so you get a new device pretty near the end of its cycle.

I've had the last 3 (iPad 3, iPad 4, and iPad Air). My wife always got the "hand down" and in turn my in laws have received her "hand down". This year I'm going to give her the new model, it's only fair after three years of getting the new model first.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I kind of agree with the reviewers. Yes, it's a substantial upgrade, but for the average user, it doesn't justify spending another $500-830, when you just spent the same amount last year. If you are an iPad enthusiast like me, who have had every iPad since the first one other than the 4, then yes, I went for the upgrade because I just want to experience it. But for people like my mom or my boss for whom iPad is just a device they use casually, no, I wouldn't recommend they upgrade from the Air1. And the reviews are written for people like my mom and boss, not for enthusiasts like us.

5. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

How are you any different than the average user? If they want a new product, then it's "justified". It's ridiculous for someone to say they are an enthusiast so the upgrade is justified and call everyone else an average user and they shouldn't upgrade for the new tech. Smh

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sure, if they want to spend another $500-$830 to upgrade, then go right ahead. I'm not saying anyone SHOULDN'T upgrade. But if they are willing to spend that kind of money on a device every year, then in my opinion, that makes them enthusiasts, not an average user.

7. Jglnaz macrumors newbie

I do the same as yourself where I hand down my iPads to my niece or nephew and other family members. Erasing them takes a few minutes and loading a new one with a saved iCloud setup is easy. Seemless going from one device to the next. I do a lot of work with photos and the more ram and processing power, the better. I gave up my laptop a few years ago so when I can afford a new iPad, I get one.

I ordered a new iPad Air 2 gold with cellular in the hopes I can avoid any upgrades the next few years because the 2 has more power then I will need for the foreseeable future. Plus the older iPads the family uses are working fine, most used for email, web surfing, games, and everyone is still happy. I almost feel like the family product tester and sometimes if I really really like a device some buy new ones and pass their older devices to friends who cannot afford it.

At first I was going to keep my Air 1, but luckily I took advantage of a great deal on recycling my old cell phones for a new 6 plus and used the amount towards the 2. It will be a Christmas present for myself. :)

8. donnaw macrumors 65816

In the past we have given the older iPad to the local children's hospital but my 7 year old granddaughter gets her own now. Next year, hers will go to the same children's hospital. I usually give them a $50 iTunes card too. They don't need the latest and greatest but just having one with some games for the kids or for the parents to do a bit of light surfing....well, anything to provide some entertainment. Things are tough enough on them as it is.

Sometimes it just as much fun handing one down as it is actually getting a new one. I've started doing that with my phones too. The local battered womens' shelter is always happy to get phones. But since I tend to keep my phones for a few years I don't donate there as often.

Anyway, that's how I 'justify' my geeky needs. As my husband said 30 years ago 'anything that has a plug and buttons you want it'. At the time he was referring to stereo equipment but I soon moved to computers. Now it just needs a screen and hard drive......

9. Jglnaz macrumors newbie

It is more fun handing down the stuff for sure!

I understand the geeky needs. I think of growing up as a kid in the 60's and 70's where my tech highlight was a $195 Texas Instruments 4 function calculator and a tape recorder! WooHoo! Lol

10. donnaw macrumors 65816

Oh, I remember lusting over a calculator period. In my first collage physics course I was the only person who knew how to use a slide rule (thanks to my high school chem teacher). Everyone else did their calculation by hand. Then I saw my first TI calculator. Talk about magic! I think that was when my geeky first appeared.

Sheesh..that was a long time ago.

11. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Speed and ram make it worth the upgrade alone in my opinion.

12. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I graduated high school in 1979. Some guys (all boys school) had the TI calculator, but we weren't allowed to use them in class. Slide rules were allowed, and I had one. :cool:

My wife and I each bought a 128GB Air last year. We replaced them with Air 2's with the same 128GB. My Air 1 is now my son's, and we offered the other to my sister. She still has an iPad 2, and said she's fine with that. :eek: Oh well...

We love the Air 2. Thinner is better for us, and we can feel the difference. Viewing text is a better experience with the laminated screen, and who can argue with speed(???). We don't drink or smoke*,and used Apple's 0% financing for 12 months. That's $4/day for a lot of enjoyment.

*We see people smoking and complaining about the price of many things. Smoking costs at least as much as a new iPad each year. Quit smoking, and buy something useful with your money. ;)

13. Bromio macrumors 6502

This is my first iPad and tablet and I absolutely love this device. Many friends own Android tablets and, in my opinion, the iPad Air 2 is far better.

For me, it's a technology masterpiece. Could it be better? Of course. Is it excellent now? Of course.

I think most of the issues people are talking about are remarkable when you are searching for them.

By the way, I'm very happy with its thinness.

Waiting for this model instead of buying the old one has been a good choice for me.