Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Playgear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
Hi all,

Whilst this is not a major issue, I've noticed that only about 1/2 to 2/3 of my volume down button is able to be pushed/depressed. If I push up toward the top of the button (closer to the volume up button) it doesn't click and performs no function. I've attached an image - in the red area is roughly where the button doesn't press in and adjust the volume. Everyone else in my family also has an iPad Air and their buttons appear to work find.

I do have it registered for AppleCare+ but I know that if I take it in for this that I will get a refurbished iPad in return, and it's not really too much of an issue to warrant that.

Again, not a major issue, just wondering if this is a problem for anyone else here.
For what its worth, it's 128GB Silver Wi-Fi+Cellular (not that the different models should affect the build quality...)

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 2,977

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've never noticed how far my volume buttons depressed but if it bothers you and its not behaving in a normal way, I'd have an apple genius check it out. The Air is still under warranty so if its defective it won't cost you anything.

Playgear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
I've never noticed how far my volume buttons depressed but if it bothers you and its not behaving in a normal way, I'd have an apple genius check it out. The Air is still under warranty so if its defective it won't cost you anything.

Not necessarily the level of depression, its as though that section of the button is not press-able at all. Very odd.

CivRules

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2013
London

I agree, if it's still covered by the warranty then have an apple genius take a look. Take it in store and see what they say. 9 times out of 10 they help not hinder and offer you a suitable solution.

Good Luck, oh BTW the way I tested mine and I have no such problem, therefore it's a malfunction of some sort. (I know i'm stating the obvious) Hopefully it's a simple fix.

Good Luck :cool:

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Hi all,

Whilst this is not a major issue, I've noticed that only about 1/2 to 2/3 of my volume down button is able to be pushed/depressed. If I push up toward the top of the button (closer to the volume up button) it doesn't click and performs no function. I've attached an image - in the red area is roughly where the button doesn't press in and adjust the volume. Everyone else in my family also has an iPad Air and their buttons appear to work find.

I do have it registered for AppleCare+ but I know that if I take it in for this that I will get a refurbished iPad in return, and it's not really too much of an issue to warrant that.

Again, not a major issue, just wondering if this is a problem for anyone else here.
For what its worth, it's 128GB Silver Wi-Fi+Cellular (not that the different models should affect the build quality...)

Thanks!

A refurb is better than a broken iPad.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
A refurb is better than a broken iPad.

Agreed, a refurb looks brand new and in most cases goes thru QC a second time to look at why it was returned in the first place and the problem gets corrected and leaves with a new battery and outer shell.

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
I tried to press my volume button at the location you indicated in the picture and the iPad was able to register the press as a volume decrease.

Playgear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
One problem leads to another...

Went to the Genius Bar today, got it swapped out.

All was wonderful until I got home and put my Smart Cover on.

Well... The magnets must be a bit out of whack on this replacement iPad - there is a fair 1/2cm overlap over the top edge of the iPad and it does not feel securely held on at all. In fact, if I tilt the iPad around 90 degrees, it falls straight off the face. Which means it won't do at all in my bag...

Looks like I'm going back on Wednesday... :mad:

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Went to the Genius Bar today, got it swapped out.

All was wonderful until I got home and put my Smart Cover on.

Well... The magnets must be a bit out of whack on this replacement iPad - there is a fair 1/2cm overlap over the top edge of the iPad and it does not feel securely held on at all. In fact, if I tilt the iPad around 90 degrees, it falls straight off the face. Which means it won't do at all in my bag...

Looks like I'm going back on Wednesday... :mad:

I didn't understand the problem :confused:

Playgear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
I didn't understand the problem :confused:

The magnets that the iPad uses to make sure the cover fits perfectly are not in exactly the right spot, so instead of covering the whole screen, it overshoots part of the top by about 1/2cm and therefore does not cover the bottom of the iPad completely, showing the white face. Because of this, the right side of the smart cover (the side that you generally pull back to open) also does not hold on securely and basically falls off.

This did not happen on my last iPad Air, and everybody in my house also has one - it does not happen to theirs. I've looked online and it seems to be a fairly rare issue but people are getting theirs swapped back out for it.

Interestingly, if I wasn't a Smart Cover user, I'd never have known. So it really sucks for the people who, unbeknownst to them have this issue, then go and buy one down the line once their Warranty and/or AppleCare ends...

Edit: Went back today. They instantly acknowledged the issue, which none of them had seen before, and swapped it out. Thank you Apple!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.