All iPads ipad air vs 11" macbook air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by trjk434, Feb 5, 2014.

1. trjk434 macrumors newbie

i already have a retina macbook pro and im looking into buying an ipad or a macbook air since theyre much easier to carry.
    I am only going to use them in lectures to take (and possibly draw) some simple stuff.

Any recommendation?

2. David58117 macrumors 65816

You have a good setup already with the retina macbook pro, I think a macbook air would just be redundant.

However, the iPad air would be complementary!

I would get that, a stylus, and learn to use goodnotes. Also, I used to record the audio of the lecture with another app, when I was in school. Also, having slides available to write notes directly on was a great help.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Get the tablet and skip the MBA, especially if you are planning taking both with you

4. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

No question, iPad Air. Don't get the Macbook Air, it will be totally redundant and a waste of money.

Also, I think the Macbook Air is a fine machine. But, now that you have a retina MBPro, you will not like the Macbook Air TN screen, nor will you like the shorter travel distance of the Macbook Air's keyboard.

Get the iPad Air, it is great and you will like it alot.

5. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Ditto this advice. The iPad Air is the right call here for sure.

6. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

Agreed

I also have the retina macbook pro, and the iPad. Good combination.

You will find yourself using an iPad much differently than a laptop and it will probably surprise you how valuable it is, and how you use it for different tasks.

I had the first generation iPad and found it good for basic stuff, but the new iPads are quite capable.

However, I will say that if you take lots of notes typing, the Macbook Air will be more beneficial that way. IMHO I don't like typing long documents on the iPad.

Good luck

7. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I recommend the iPad Air and the Logitech ultrathin keyboard cover (if they make one for the Air). I have an iPad 4 with the Logitech keyboard cover and it is a great option... as a tablet and for extended typing sessions.

8. trjk434 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

if you are drawing it would be much easier on an iPad and you already have a mac so there is really no point. and as others said the non retina might be annoying.