iPad iPad Air vs iPad 2 [Display] YELLOW DISPLAY??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NeoiPad, Dec 3, 2013.

1. NeoiPad, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

NeoiPad macrumors member

The iPad Air has a better resolution and color gamut, but the Whites on the iPad Air are not white, and on the iPad 2 the whites look amazing

iPad Air on the right, iPad 2 on the left
    Both with maximum brightness

[​IMG]

PD:My iPad Air is not faulty cause I have compared the iPad 2 with 3 iPad Airs

PD:The iPad Air it's a little bit whiter than it looks at the picture

EDIT:

iPad 2

[​IMG]

iPad Air

[​IMG]

Air vs 2

[​IMG]

2. cababah macrumors 68000

Are those both on max brightness? If so, the Air looks really yellow. I'd return that instantly.

3. rkuo macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but this photo tells us nothing. You need to hold these up to a reasonably well calibrated monitor and see what the difference is. iPad 2 was generally calibrated with a bluer white level than the subsequent models. iPad 3 and up (including iPad Air) took color gamut and calibration more seriously and are generally better displays overall, not worse. Different is not the same as defective.

4. Antoni Nygaard macrumors 6502a

Antoni Nygaard

I got my iPad air a week ago and I comparied my air to my iPad 2 and saw it was quit yellow, but after days using it does not look as yellow only if you stack it up against the iPad 2. I was asking myself if I should return it but after a week I'm happy about the display I don't see any issues

5. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I'm happy to hear this. Too many people are getting suckered into the negative threads on here and looking for excuses to keep returning their devices. People need to just enjoy what is a phenomenal product and stop trying to engineer faults in their minds.

6. NeoiPad thread starter macrumors member

I'm not returning it, I've just wanted to show that the Air display is not as white as the iPad 2 one.

And I prefer the whites of the iPad 2 but the colors, resolution of the Air

7. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

The iPad 2 is too blue, and your camera is adjusting for it's white point when taking that photo. The iPad 2 had a very low gamut screen that was far too blue, so that's what you're seeing, to be honest.

8. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Speaking as someone with no particular background in graphic art, the Ipad on the right (Air) looks whiter to me than the one on the left. The one the left seems tinted; it looks sort of bluish. There seems to be a big difference on the banner near the top; the one on the right appears yellow, while the one on the left is so strongly tinted I'm not sure I'd call it yellow; more orangish?

9. Che Castro macrumors 603

I remember this problem with the iphone 5 2012 , people here said is because the glue on the screen is not yet dried , so after you use it for a while it should go back to normal

10. NeoiPad thread starter macrumors member

You are right.

I've taken 3 pictures more, 2 of them per separated

iPad 2

[​IMG]

iPad Air

[​IMG]

Air vs 2

[​IMG]

11. Vladislav macrumors regular

Interesting, I've got just the same situation but other way around! My iPad 2 looks quite yellow comparing to my new iPad air!

12. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I truly did get lucky. I just compared my Air to my iPad 2 in a totally dark room. With brightness at full blast, the iPad2 was a bit more yellow. Not as much compared to the OP's pics, but a little more than slightly.

Good Air displays are out there in the wild.

13. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

You mean bad ones? Most of the Airs are pretty darn close to D65 (still a bit too blue though). If they're meaningfully more blue than average, they're too blue.

14. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Mine is yellowish too. I noticed it right away when looking at anything with a white background. Just like in these pictures.

15. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

My wife and I each have an Air, and returned a third. The two we kept are much closer to the cool color of your iPad 2, and the third was a noticeably more yellow than the ones we kept.

Anyone that looks along the shelf of desktop monitors at Best Buy will notice that they range from quite warm to quite cool, and all points in between.

16. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I was being a tad bit facetious with that statement.

But I was telling the truth, my iPad2 is a tad bit more yellow than my air.

17. Valinor macrumors member

Had the same yellow color, returned mine. The new one i got is exactly the same yellow screen.
    Also the display units in the apple store looked also a bit yellowish, but was hard to tell due to the lighting they have. Everything looks whiter in there.
    Gonna keep this one for the next to weeks, if it doesnt get any better, I'll return it or maybe keep it a few months and when the screen problems are solved, bring it in for repairs.

18. doboy macrumors 68000

I think we went through this when iPad 3 (first retina) was released. iPad 3 had "yellower" screen than the iPad 2 and it seems Air is very similar to iPad 3 (at least mine). For me I prefer iPad 3 and Air color than my iPad 2.

----------

It's not a problem. It's just different than previous gen.

19. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

As long as it is uniform the yellow, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Wait for the Jailbreak and then install a color profile and configure it the way you want

20. ReValveiT macrumors regular

The Air is correct.

The problem is, people are so used to the horrid 'blue' TV / monitor screens of the past decade, they take this as normal.

21. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I have to agree. The Air in your pics looks much nicer than the iPad 2. Has anyone ever seen a blue newspaper or book? ;) Most newspaper tend toward gray, but a good hardback book has creamy white/warm pages.

22. ReValveiT macrumors regular

I'll see your ;) and raise you a ;) .

23. HappyFunnyCrap macrumors newbie

Your air looks pretty good.
    I am okay with the bit-yellow-style screen as long as it is not half yellowish, half white (for HQ PDF and epub reading).