All iPads Ipad air vs ipad mini 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cooperb21, Nov 26, 2013.

1. cooperb21 macrumors member

I decided now im going to be purchasing an ipad. Im wonder which to get. Does it all come down to portability? The ipad i buy i will be 100% only be using in my home i wont be bringing it around with me so ipad air would be better for movies and gaming on larger screen?

But it seems Pixel density on ipad mini is better does that mean picture is worse on ipad air.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Both have great screens. Difference is mostly screen size & weight. Rmini is easier to hold up longer & great for bed reading. Air is better for movies, magazines, writing. You can go wrong w/ either but should ask yourself how & where ( not just @ home but where at home) you'll use it.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If portability or budget aren't factors, then get the Air. The Air has a nicer looking screen and I doubt you'll notice the difference in PPI.

4. cooperb21 thread starter macrumors member

I would most use the tablet in bed so maybe the air would be to large and my hands would get tired of holding it. I would have to hold it differently prob right now i have nexus 7 2012 and i usually just lay in bed and use it by holding it up.

But i think upgrading from nexus 7 to ipad air would have more wow factor since screen is bigger and easier to notice different maybe.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Buy it, try it, and return it if you don't like it.

6. cooperb21 thread starter macrumors member

Umm i dont know if all stores have that policy.

7. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

If you'll be using it 90-100% around your home (as you said you would), I'd get the Air. More screen real estate is always better. Why NOT see more content?

iPad mini buyers buy because the smaller screen is a fine compromise for the portability of being able to slide it into their peacoat pocket for the subway on the way to work that morning, for example. If you're buying to enjoy content at home, I think you'd be mighty fine with the Air.

On the topic of pixel density, the iPad Air will (naturally) be farther from your face, so the lesser pixel density won't even be discernible for you.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Order it from somewhere that does.

9. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

10. j.benj macrumors member

Ipad air vs ipad mini 2

I'll stump for the Air here even if you need portability. I came from an iPad 3 and the original mini. Got the 3 on launch day and loved it, but it was just too cumbersome to lug around in my bag to and from work every day, so I picked up the mini when that came out. I happily toted the mini everywhere and fully expected to upgrade to the retina version when they announced it. Strangely something in me decided to try the Air as I really did long for the bigger display and I thought with the change in form factor and weight it might be more viable as a commuting companion. Turns out, for my use-case, I was right. Slimmer and lighter has made the full sized iPad far more portable than the older models. Fits perfectly in my small commuter bag, doesn't weigh me down at all, AND I get the nice big display. It's like having a quasi-laptop with me at all times! Best iPad ever, IMO.

This is, of course, my opinion. There are many reasons to choose the mini, but in my situation the Air is the clear winner.

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Great advice. Elegant in its simplicity.

Why buy from somewhere that won't give you a refund if you are not satisfied with your purchase?

I guess some countries don't have a lot of choices of where to buy Apple stuff. In their case, they are in a tough spot. Buy from someone who won't take it back or don't buy it at all. :(

12. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I am working on the same decision. I currently have an iPad 3, but am thinking of upgrading to the Air or the rMini. Stopped by the Apple store again today to play with them. For me, it comes down to this:
    1. For iBooks, I the rMini is just perfect. Great to hold, nice size, etc.
    2. For Safari, I have to admit the larger screen is an advantage.
    I use the iPad mainly for reading while traveling, so will probably go rMini or just stay with my 3.

Just in my opinion, of course, but I think the Air sounds perfect for you.

13. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

They both have the same resolution. You're not seeing anymore content on the Air. It's just the same content, but bigger. :D

14. v0lume4, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

Ahh ha! You're a sly one, sir. :p