Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
I'm not a Pro user - I don't edit videos or do graphic design, for example. But I highly value a great display, and would love to watch videos and movies on the new OLED display. Struggling to decide if it's worth the additional cost.
I’m right there with you. I’ve been trying to watch movies on my MacBook M1 air and iPad Air four and I think both of those are like 500 nits and movies are just too dark ,That’s a lot to spend just to watch movies, but I don’t watch movies on my TV anymore so I think the 11 inch with the higher nits will be great! I use it for logic as well so it’s not so outlandish

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
The problem with the Pro is 2 fold: it‘s not just the cost of the iPad Pro itself, but also the cost of the keyboard. If, like me, you are coming from an older Air (and you want a keyboard), then the cost is the iPad plus the keyboard. It’s the same problem with the 13 inch iPad Air, also. An extra $350 on top of the $799 for the 13 inch Air is what made me stick with the 11 inch iPad Air rather than a 13 inch Air or the Pro. At this point the keyboard has become a necessity for me and I can’t justify the cost of a new keyboard right now. Apple seriously needs to think of a way to lower the cost of their overpriced keyboards as I imagine many others are in my shoes as well.
Have the same issue myself the ESR Keyboard on Amazon looks like a pretty good buy

SpanishAppleNerd

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2023
Badajoz
If you are getting the 256GB model, I think the pro features are worth the extra $300. The OLED screen should be nice. Though if you already have an Apple Magic Keyboard it's another $300 to replace it if you get the Pro.
Yes, I am getting the 256 GB model. No, I don't have a keyboard, though I will have to upgrade my Pencil... thinking about upgrading in size even.

Reactions: Jovijoker

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
The real difference is that when people see you using an iPad Pro instead of the Air, they'll know that you're a person with exquisite tastes.

Wear an Apple Watch SE? You probably have the Apple Watch Hermès, complete with a leather watch band from some company no one else has heard of.

$0.99 iCloud plan? You've got the most expensive $37.95 Apple One plan, the kind you can share with family. Maybe you don't even have a family, you just like operating at this level.

McDonald's McChicken sandwiches? You only eat chicken sandwiches at Chick-fil-A, because your palette is that discerning.

.....or so I assume that's the real reason to get an iPad Pro over the Air. Despite the $400 difference in price, there's not really much of a difference in the user experience. 🤷‍♂️
I guess it depends how much movie watching you do that’s the reason I’m going to buy it. Movies are just too dark on my iPad Air 4, also if you do things like logic or final cut the extra processing will come in handy

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
I think I want the M2 Air for the Apple Pencil Pro support, plus I can use my old iPad Pro Magic Keyboard case on it. But the iPad Pro isn't *that* much more than the Air when you think about it...

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
I am not a pro, a prosumer at maximum. Yet I am struggling on which iPad to get to update my Air 4... money is no problem but ofc that doesn't mean not thinking and reflecting about the purchase
I don’t know if you watch movies on your iPad I have the same iPad and movies are too dark on that and my MacBook Air The Face ID and the processor I think we’ll make it worth the extra money along with the display. I guess its horses for courses.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
I wish Apple made these to run your other devices. I don't need yet another device I have to think of reasons to use over a phone but I would totally make it my home on the couch system if it could (through much better interfaces) control my Apple TV, phone, server, and Mac remotely. If all I had to do what carry this around and I have access to all my other devices from it, that would make the choice of what to use at home very easy. But each device has its own interface but you don't have that interface on the iPad, if I can remote view each device and have full touch controls then there wouldn't be a disconnect.

The other problem with iPads is that they get SLOW over years of updates. My tv doesnt get slow, my car doesnt get slow. Yet we have to put up with apple devices getting annoying to use when older because Apple designs their software updates in a way that slows them down. Who cares about these new systems if they will feel like garbage when it's time to replace them? A used iPad Air (this newest one) is the way to go. Just wait and get it when its cheaper.

Reactions: jebrennan

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
It's 2024, why doesn't the Air have Face ID? It took me some time to get used to no face-ID on a mini that I use for work, which I also can't believe doesn't have Face ID. Maybe I'm crazy for having a hiccup over this feature, I sold my 11" 2018 iPad Pro a few months back in anticipation of replacing it. Replacing it with an Air seems logical, but also seems like a step backwards for not having Face-ID.

I'm also confused because I've looked at cases for the 11" pro and most say they fit both the Pro and the Air, but this says they are different "depths" additionally the Pro is a few grams less in weight. So are they same exterior dimensions or not?

ces1965

macrumors member
May 16, 2002
I think I'm going 11" inch base iPad Pro. I'm a very long time Apple user and fanboy getting my first iPad in many years. Have an M1 mini, M1 MacBook Pro, iPhone, watch etc. I just want an iPad and was waiting for the update. Can't go crazy on the price though. 256gb storage is the bare minimum I can stomach. The 11" Air with 256 is $699. 11" Pro with 256 is $999. I don't think saving $300 is the way to go. I keep my Apple devices a long time until they are off life support from Apple. All the excitement is around the Pro although the Air looks like a fine machine.

Last edited:

swm

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2013
or the 13" pro could just run macOS as it has 16GB RAM anyway

jamesthegator

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2009
Or...

-You're a Pro that'll actually benefit from the features missing from the Air...
-You can afford the Pro and have no need to deny yourself the best
-You prioritize the weight savings between devices
-You are the type that keeps the device for a long time, amortizing the cost while enjoying the additional benefits
the last one is what resonates with me. I have a 10.5 ipad pro that I've had since launch. It barely holds a charge now and the screen has a very bright spot. I hope to use my new M4 pro for years, just like I did with my current 10.5.

bg1419

macrumors member
May 7, 2019
What novice edited the image for this article? Zoom in on the corners of the iPad Pro.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Been trying to figure out the USB speed on the Air but can’t find it. Anyone who know if it’s at least USB3 or is it USB2 for every iPad that isn’t Thunderbolt?

chickenpiccata

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2021
California, USA
I’m right there with you. I’ve been trying to watch movies on my MacBook M1 air and iPad Air four and I think both of those are like 500 nits and movies are just too dark ,That’s a lot to spend just to watch movies, but I don’t watch movies on my TV anymore so I think the 11 inch with the higher nits will be great! I use it for logic as well so it’s not so outlandish
Me, too. I’ve been disappointed with the dark screen of my iPad Air 4 and the battery life has gotten bad. I have to charge during the day as well as overnight. i will probably go Pro but will wait to see what WWDC holds.

Reactions: fourthtunz

chickenpiccata

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2021
California, USA
It's 2024, why doesn't the Air have Face ID? It took me some time to get used to no face-ID on a mini that I use for work, which I also can't believe doesn't have Face ID. Maybe I'm crazy for having a hiccup over this feature, I sold my 11" 2018 iPad Pro a few months back in anticipation of replacing it. Replacing it with an Air seems logical, but also seems like a step backwards for not having Face-ID.

I'm also confused because I've looked at cases for the 11" pro and most say they fit both the Pro and the Air, but this says they are different "depths" additionally the Pro is a few grams less in weight. So are they same exterior dimensions or not?
Apparently Face ID is rather expensive and Apple wouldn’t get its desired profit without bumping up the price of the Air. And frankly, since I love Face ID on my phone, it’s one of the reasons I’m planning to replace my Air with a Pro. So more $$$ for Apple from me.

Reactions: imola.zhp

sporadically

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2022
I'm genuinely excited about the new iPad Air 11" (M2). I'm still using iPad (5th gen, A9) and have been looking forward to the new iPad Air. Almost pulled the trigger late last year on the (now prev gen) Air (M1) but decided to wait. I'm looking at the "Compare iPad models" page, Air 11" (M2) vs Pro 11" (M4) vs iPad (5th gen), and I'm pretty sure the Pro isn't for me, the specs are awesome but I really don't need all that. I'd be happy with the Air w/ 256GB.

Gonna be a nice upgrade for sure. TBH the only thing "wrong" with my current iPad is that the battery drains way too fast, and not getting on the latest iPadOS (but luckily still getting periodic security patches).

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
About the second point about being able to afford it, don't forget opportunity cost. I could buy my family all new Pros, but I'd rather invest that money into T-Bills paying 5.4% annually and the total stock market index/NASDAQ 100. Sure you can afford it, but you could be compounding your money and keep whichever Pro you already have that can do all the same things. It's not a car or something of significant importance, it's an iPad. Not a Mac, an iPad.
Well, those of us that aren't wealthy make these decisions and there are always tradeoffs.

I personally value quality of life over money, so me not compounding that amount of money is a happy trade-off for the enjoyment I get from using my devices and their features.

Also, you say that last bit as if the iPad has less significance than a Mac, which shows your bias on the subject.

My bias points to that being an asset: it's an iPad, not a Mac. I'm looking forward to not needing a Mac again, not the other way around.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Overall, the iPad Air is the better option for the majority of users, simply on the basis of value for money. For most people, the additional $400+ needed to buy the iPad Pro is not justified to get the likes of Face ID, four-speaker audio, and a ProMotion OLED display with refresh rates up to 120Hz.

Excellent article, the table is super helpful. I definitely agree with this assessment.

Looking at the table, it's clear many of the "Pro" features are directed towards professional photographers / videographers (ProRES support, ray tracing, Thunderbolt / USB 4 for faster bandwidth etc.) and artists (Pencil Pro).

I suspect most people will be better off with a MacBook / MacBook Pro for other types of professional work.

The iPad Pro has this interesting niche for consumers that are willing to pay for the best consumption experience with Tandem OLED / better speakers. For most other people, make the right choice - the iPad Air or MacBook are probably better options.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I'd love to see a comparison of the new M2 iPad Air to the old M2 iPad Pro. I suspect that buying used or discounted, you might be able to get more storage and other features for a similar price. I'm just not sure how all the specs compare.
There is a website for that:

Reactions: fhall1

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
The problem with the Pro is 2 fold: it‘s not just the cost of the iPad Pro itself, but also the cost of the keyboard. If, like me, you are coming from an older Air (and you want a keyboard), then the cost is the iPad plus the keyboard. It’s the same problem with the 13 inch iPad Air, also. An extra $350 on top of the $799 for the 13 inch Air is what made me stick with the 11 inch iPad Air rather than a 13 inch Air or the Pro. At this point the keyboard has become a necessity for me and I can’t justify the cost of a new keyboard right now. Apple seriously needs to think of a way to lower the cost of their overpriced keyboards as I imagine many others are in my shoes as well.
It is not Apple that needs to think of a way to lower the cost of their overpriced keyboards. It is a need/opportunity for third parties to fill.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
The other problem with iPads is that they get SLOW over years of updates. My tv doesnt get slow, my car doesnt get slow. Yet we have to put up with apple devices getting annoying to use when older because Apple designs their software updates in a way that slows them down. Who cares about these new systems if they will feel like garbage when it's time to replace them? A used iPad Air (this newest one) is the way to go. Just wait and get it when its cheaper.
The M-series chips on iPad has all but eliminated this. It will not get any slower than a Mac would.

I have an M1 iPad Pro and it's still faster than anything I've thrown at it. Equal to my MBA M2 in every respect (but with a better screen and Pencil capability).

Granted, I don't use them for pro purposes, but still.

This is WHY I bought an M-Series iPad: (some) parity with the Mac.

I expect to keep mine for over 5 years, or until I succumb to temptation (these new iPad Pros are DRRRRREEEEEAMY!)

• Love
Reactions: amartinez1660
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.