All iPads iPad Air vs Mini and AppleCare

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Afbar1114, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

So I got the new 16gb rMINI and exchanged it for the 32gb but while I was at apple waiting for the exchange I noticed the air and checked it out I like the screen size because it makes reading sites easier but is it really that much of a difference in the screens? Did any one get the air and return it for the rMINI? And would apple even allow me to exchange it for the air?

Is Apple care worth it on the the iPads? I get it on my phones since it's out more but I rarely take my iPad out so I. Not sure if it's worth it at this point

2. kathyricks macrumors 6502

I got AppleCare for my Air because I plan to use it daily for 2 years and because it covers accidental drops and costs only $99. So AppleCare gives me peace of mind for 2 years against anything that could go wrong.

Now if I had gotten a retina MacBook Pro instead, AppleCare would have cost a whopping $249 and yet would not cover accidental drops. So with the MacBook Pro I still wouldn't have complete peace of mind even after spending $249 on AppleCare.

3. Angler macrumors regular

I had the air exchanged it for the mini r when I bought the MBPr. I kept it three days then exchanged it for the air again. Even though I liked the size the screen was just to small for me.

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The screen is a huge difference and it's why the Air is the better device! :D

Two inches of screen diagonally is actually a pretty large percentage difference in viewing area.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Display size is a personal matter. If you think you want the larger iPad because of the easier reading then go for it. I've seen enough threads here, where many people were in your exact shoes, and exchanged the iPad and loved the Air.

The mini is a great tablet, but it is smaller, which I consider its major benefit, but if you like the larger iPad then yeah by all means exchange it :)

I've never gotten AC on my iPads, its one of those things that I generally don't buy extended warranties as they don't really pay off in the long run.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't buy the AppleCare on my iDevices, just the Mac's.

I went from the full size iPad 3 to the new Mini Retina and couldn't be happier. I really like the Mini size far better than the full size.

7. Arid macrumors member

Arid

Got iPad Air, took it on a trip then gave it to my bro and got myself the rMini.

8. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I don't have any trouble browsing websites on my rMini. In fact, I find it easier for forums and such where I end up typing. I've enjoyed the rMini immensely more than I was enjoying my iPad 3, which was actually too large to use in bed comfortably for reading, and while the Air makes that a little better, it's still night and day next to the Mini.

I also bought AppleCare+. I figure I can spend $70 for a smart case, drop it, and have the screen shatter. Or I can spend $99 for AC+, not need to have a case, and not have to worry about it at all for 2 years.

9. JGWolven macrumors regular

I want to love the rMini but I can't. Just too small. Even my girlfriend wants to take hers back to get an Air.

10. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

I went from an iPad 3 to an rMini because I knew I wanted a retina-quality screen and a smaller form factor. If you care about having it with you at all times, then you can't do better than the rMini. The Air is indeed light enough -- but it still isn't small enough to fit in a pocket.

I always get AppleCare on all my purchases so that I don't have to deal with any hassles after the first year. I didn't do it for one purchase, which was a steal, and regretted it every day since. No matter what, Apple hardware is expensive. Another 20 - 30% premium to cover those moments out of your control -- well worth it.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The air is a nice tablet, but the small size for me is the reason for the tablet. If you're not happy and within the return window, definitely take it back and get what you want.

12. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wen back to apple today to compare the two side by side. One of the guys there even helped me look at the differences the only thing I sw was the type on websites. Everything looked the same in something half the size.