All iPads iPad Air vs Mini Retina for reading and notes?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Poro, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Poro macrumors newbie

Hey,

I've never owned a tablet before and I feel now is the perfect time to buy one as I feel it could replace many things I currently have to carry around. As for my use, I'll mostly be reading eBooks on it. I'll carry it to school and have all my books on it but I'd also like to take notes on it so I bought an Adonit Jot Script to go with it. Other than reading and notes, I'll do some app development on it, but I think that should be fine on both.

Which tablet should I get for my use? I'm worried that the iPad Air might be a bit too big to hold and read comfortably but is the Mini Retina too small? Will the font be big enough to comfortably read for long stretches?

Also, is the color gamut issue really as big as the news have made it seem to be?

Thanks in advance!

2. sholzer macrumors regular

The mini is great for reading, web browsing, Facebook, watching things while holding it in your hands, but anything other than that I think you might feel a little cramped. So with your uses, I would say to go with the air.

But the best thing for you to do is to go play around with and hold both of them and pick whichever one you like best.

3. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

This Air is better at everything (including reading and taking notes) with two exceptions:

- Portability

- Typing when you don't have it resting on a surface

I use mine while standing on the train a lot, so the mini was my choice. If I used it only at home, or only at a desk somewhere, I would have picked the Air.

Ignore the color gamut nonsense and pick the screen size that works for you.

4. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

This is probably the best advise here.

Portibility was the most important for me, so I went with the rMini. I owned the original iPad and it was too big for me at the time. The rMini is the perfect size for me to still carry around, and most importantly, use as a eBook to replace my regular Kindle. Plus, I now use my rMini to watch Netflix, YouTube, Vimo, HBOGO, etc. rather than use my 5s.