All iPads iPad Air w/external keyboard or Chromebook for my Dad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HarryWarden, Jul 10, 2014.

1. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

It's his birthday coming up and I want to get him a replacement for his 2012 Samsung Chromebook, which is failing due to no longer keeping a charge. My options are to get him a new Chromebook (either one of the new Samsung Chromebook 2's or the Dell Chromebook seem likely) or get him the base iPad Air plus a bluetooth keyboard (the keyboard is essential because he doesn't like typing on on-screen keyboards). He's still rocking a flip phone for his cell phone. The advantage of the iPad Air is that the screen is 100 times better than anything on any of the Chromebooks (which seem to cheap out on the screen more than any other component) plus it's so light and portable. Meanwhile, the Chromebooks cost significantly less on average though the 13-inch Sammy 2 is $399 and is the most expensive Chromebook available. And he's already familiar with the Chromebook environment.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What is the planned usage of the iPad/Chromebook?

Did you ask him what he may prefer?

3. HarryWarden thread starter macrumors 6502a

Planned usage is basic web browsing/word processing but mostly the former. He looks up car and motorcycle related listings on Craigslist a lot because he has this fantasy of getting a motorcycle though his wife/my mom is deadset against it so I guess we'll see who wins that battle, lol. He also looks up how to fix things around the house and with his current car.

4. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

As someone that owned both setups I would recommend the iPad with the keyboard. With the Chromebook it's pretty much useless unless connected to the internet, granted there are a few offline apps.

With the iPad he can still easily browse the web, detach the keyboard and also you have the plus side of having the App Store.

5. gbkrip macrumors member

I vote in favor of the iPad. Since he is not familiar with the OS, he would have to learn how to use it but I think an iPad is more convenient when it comes to browsing and media consumption. With a Chromebook, he wouldn't be able to put the keyboard down and just take the screen!

6. HarryWarden thread starter macrumors 6502a

Assuming I go the iPad route, should I get him the Air or do you think the iPad 4 (which can be had for $299, about the price of the average Chromebook, currently on the Refurb store) is a viable option?

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

There's nothing wrong with the iPad 4, but after having gotten used to the Air, I pick one of those up, and does it feel heavy, LOL. I think the weight difference between your dad's current Chromebook and the iPad might be the wow factor in convincing him to switch, so... How heavy is his current Chromebook?

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I would go with Samsung Chromebook 2 because your daddy got used with it before. I don't know if any wireless provider sells Chromebooks. I asked because your dad's old Chromebook no longer keeps charge then insurance can replace it with new one. Just a thought. :apple:

9. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I recommend the iPad 4 and the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard cover. Those keyboard covers used to sell for $99 but they are regularly $15-$20 on various daily deal sites.

I have that combo and it works wonderfully well as both a "touchscreen netbook" and a tablet. The nice thing about the Logitech is that it is easy to switch between netbook and tablet modes... just pop the cover off.

10. campyguy macrumors 68040

I talked an 82-year-old family friend into trying out my VZW iPad 3 with a Zagg Profolio as her Chromebook was dying, which led to her buying a VZW iPad Mini Retina (with 2GB of monthly data) with an Apple Smart Cover plus a Logitech BT keyboard (a K811 like mine). I have an iPad Air and offered it to her to try, but declined and opted to buy the Mini form factor, which she can slip into her purse or suitcase.

I loaded and set up her Google account-related apps, and she's a happy girl. The set up took less than an hour. I talked with her a couple of days ago and she doesn't miss her Chromebook at all.

+1 for an iPad - Air or rMini. An iPad 4 would do nicely too.

11. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

One thing to keep in mind is that the iPad is not completely compatible with a keyboard the way that a laptop (or I imagine a chromebook) would be. You can't use arrow keys for navigation which is more annoying that it sounds. Basically unlike a true laptop you will always need to do some interaction with the touchscreen even while using the iPad like a mini laptop. I am kind of hoping that iOS 8 or 8.1 addresses this issue because otherwise I love using my iPad Air + Logitech keyboard combo.

12. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

My dad had an iPad but being 'old school' he likes the form of a laptop/PC. He got rid of his iPad and after seeing me with a chromebook before my Macbook he bought one. Happy with it despite seeing my Macbook.