iPad iPad Air Weight Summary

Discussion in 'iPad' started by roop27, Nov 15, 2013.

1. roop27 macrumors member

I had the iPad 4 which i have now sold in anticipation for the newer Air. Can anybody comment on the weight of the iPad Air? I've played with it in the Apple store but i'm talking about in normal everyday usage. Can it be used with one hand easily without getting tired? Can it easily be held in bed when laying down? etc. Thank you all in advance.

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

3. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

It's very light for the size.

Held it for 5-10 minutes at the Apple store and it was pleasant.

4. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

If you're coming from a previous ipad (especially ipad1,3,4) you'll notice a huge difference. Not only in weight, but also in width. It's much narrower in design so holding in portrait is a joy. Typing in portrait is a breeze as well.

I've used my air in bed to read and I usually hold it above my head, but with 2 hands and it's fine for me.

One-handed use is also MUCH better. You'll be able to use it one handed much like you would hold a thick magazine in your left hand (for example).

If you're coming for a mini, however, you'll notice the extra .25lbs...but it's not bad at all. Another user described holding the air as wielding a thin large notepad, and I have to agree.

Overall I'm impressed every time I pick mine up to use, because the screen is so large I feel like in my mind it should weigh much more than it really does!

5. Robster3 macrumors 68000

It is what it is. Unless you can get them to make you a lighter one:)

Way lighter than iPad 4, seriously.

6. Aetherhole macrumors member

Is it "light" compared to the iPad Mini or Nexus 7? Absolutely not, but it is still very light for what it is.

Coming from the iPad 4, I think you'll be quite satisfied.

As far as endurance for lengthy, I think I have a high tolerance, so it'll be hard to say, in your case...I think that the Air is quite noticeably lighter. I've been able to do extended gaming sessions on it with more ease than I was with the iPad 3 and, more recently, the iPad 4.

7. roop27 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all. I did consider the r mini but with all the bad press I thought to avoid it. I use my ipad 99% of the time in landscape so hopefully that'll be alot easier.