iPad iPad Air wifi issues?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JoshMKB24, Nov 13, 2013.

1. JoshMKB24, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

I did some searching and only found threads where people liked how fast the wifi was haha. I am having an issue where its connected to my network but it'll sometimes be extremely slow or will take like 2 minutes to connect if I'm waking it up for the 1st time in a few hours. Overall its pretty fast when it is connected and working right and I don't believe its my network because I do have the new Airport Extreme and my phones and computers all connect flawlessly........anyone else having this issue? I know I can probably return it to Target and exchange it, but having to wipe it, drive to Target, and then restore seems kind of like a hassle. Wondering if anyone else has this issue?

2. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

By chance is your iPad an LTE model?

I have a T-Mobile Air and the WiFi is HORRIBLY slow on mine until I turn off Cellular Data. My router is also an Airport Extreme (with an Airport Express extender).

The issue is 100% reproducible and I get about 2-5mb/s with LTE on vs 60-70mb/s with LTE off. I think the LTE is causing a great deal of interference with the WiFi signal. I am going to try switching the channels my router is on, but being in the 5GHz band should not interfere with T-Mobile's LTE bands...

Does anyone else have this issue???

3. JoshMKB24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

I do not have the LTE version. However that does sort of sound like the problem I am having. I am thinking of switching channels as well on my router, but I don't want to screw with all the other wifi connected devices haha

4. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Hmm....

Is anyone else seeing this issue??

5. tee-tz macrumors member

tee-tz

Hi guys,

So I have a Wi-Fi only iPad Air, an iPhone 5 and a Time Capsule.

When I load a web site on my iPhone (connected via WiFi) and then on my iPad, the iPhone loads the web site almost 10x faster. Not sure if this can be solved by a changing the channels settings on my Time Capsule; but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

tee-tz.

6. peggy06 macrumors newbie

T-Mobile iPad vs my Wifi

I am no authority on this issue. Just got the iPad yesterday and fired up the T-Mobile today... But, as soon as the SIM was activated - neither the iPad nor my MacBook Air was able to connect to my old faithful cisco router.

I ended up taking the SIM card out of the iPad. Not a very elegant solution - but it worked. I'll try just turning all the cell data streams off. Sort of interesting have my very own wifi death machine. I wonder if I can kill off my neighbor's wifi as well??:)

7. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Same here. Wifi is really slow, but can be because of the router, no clue :(

8. JoshMKB24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Yeah, I'm thinking of taking it back. Sometimes it takes a long time to connect, its really weird.

9. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

My Air is faster than ever on WiFi and I also have LTE.

I am using the Asus Dual-Band Wireless-AC Gigabit Router:rolleyes:

10. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

I reckon is the router to be fair... I'm going to try another one

11. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Before I returned it there are some simple steps that usually resolve iPad wifi issues.

1. reboot by holding power button and round button down until Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't fix it go to settings / General / Reset / Reset Network Settings

Lastly if none of the above has worked unplug wireless router for 60 seconds and let it restart.

12. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

No problem here, wifi + VZW LTE and I get the same speed with and without cellular data enabled; 60+Mb/s down, ~30Mb/s up over my internet connection at home using wifi.

13. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

If you have restored from a precious backup, easiest thing to try is to forget your network and connect back to it . Also try to reset your network settings and ensure your router firmware is up to date and supports the speeds you expect to be seeing i.e. DOCSIS 3.0 for a cable modem/router.

14. JoshMKB24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

I would be surprised if its my router as its the newest Apple Airport Extreme and my iPhone connects with no problems along with my older iPad Mini. Haha, I did realize I no longer have the receipt for it though, so I'm gonna have to figure something else out I think besides returning it.

15. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

I bought anw wifi extender and now all is good. Did you buy it at apple? I reckon you just need to go there, they will have your ipad in the aystem, you don't even need a receipt

16. JoshMKB24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Got it from Target :( Less than a mile from my house plus don't have to deal with the garbage traffic of a mall, not to mention was 20 bucks cheaper haha