All iPads iPad Air will perform better than iPad mini retina

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Oct 30, 2013.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

According to the Anandtech review posted on another thread in this forum, the primary factor affecting performance of the iPad Air was heat dissipation.

The iPad Air was able to dissipate heat much better than the iPhone 5s, thus allowing it to perform better for longer without being throttled due to heat.

Considering the iPad Air and iPad mini retina will both feature the same processor, the main difference between the Air and mini retina will be the size of the device. The Air has a larger metal body to dissipate heat, which will allow apps to perform better for longer on the iPad Air while the mini retina will be more prone to overheating and throttling down.

You can count on it. The iPad Air will be the better performing device.

2. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

3. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

how so?

iPad Air is larger with more space inside the device and more metal to dissipate heat on the actual device. Considering tablets don't have heatsinks with fans, the actual tablet is the heatsink, thus a larger tablet = more heat dissipation = less cpu throttle under strain

4. SamuraiMinis macrumors member

Same performance, but iPad air has more endurance. Sounds correct the way you put it, tho only under extremely heavy usage I'd say. Otherwise 99% of the time they will be on par performance wise when in use.

5. Akash.B macrumors regular

Considering that the iPad mini still has about 8 times the surface area of an iPhone 5S, I doubt you will see any heat related slowdowns

6. SamuraiMinis macrumors member

Agreed!

7. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Yeah, I don't think anyone here is educated enough to make claims like that. And besides, even if it was slower than the Air, it's not going to be slower than the 5S, and the gap between the 5S and the Air in performance is more of a sliver.

8. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

9. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Clock rate won't matter. The 5s is only 100mhz slower than the iPad air. You can't expect the iPad mini retina to be lower clocked than 5s.

If you have ever played a graphics intensive game on your iPad, you know how much heat it generates. Playing for 5 minutes will generate enough heat to cause the cpu to throttle, the question is how much throttle. The iPad air will throttle less than the iPad air. We can only wait for anandtech to do a comparison after the mini retina is released.

10. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

BUT,,,,,, the mini's screen will be clearer/ crisper.

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Okay and?..

The mini will still have better PPI

12. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i hate you. that honestly gets me every single time i read one of your posts!
    :p;)

13. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

in that argument, you should buy the smallest 1080p television you can find so that it has the most clear picture.

Retina is retina is retina. A retina iPad means you cannot see the pixels at normal viewing distance, thus you will not be able to differentiate the difference between the mini retina and the iPad Air unless you put it very close to your face.

14. cardfan macrumors 65816

http://www.cultofmac.com/173702/why-retina-isnt-enough-feature/ but you may or may not agree with this.

I agree with you though that both devices are similar enough from a retina standpoint to where you should just pick the size you want. I look forward to seeing them compared though.

15. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

What exactly do you plan on doing with your iPad Air that the slight variance in heat dissipation would even be a valid factor when considering performance in a tablet device?

16. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

Both devices have the same cpu with the same clock speed.

The only difference theoretically would be the iPad Air would have a smaller chance at having overheating issues, and that would only be the case if the devices were experiencing close to unstable temperatures.

If you believe that the iPad Air's A7 will be running at faster speeds than the Mini's A7, and scoring higher on benchmark tests, prepare for disappointment.

Sounds like you took what you wanted from that article, to justify your decision to buy the iPad Air.

17. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Anandtech's explanation makes perfect sense.

What we don't know is if there's a point of diminishing returns. How much space is enough space to dissipate the kind of heat that gives us the results that the iPad Air achieved? The iPad mini might be capable of that.

18. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I just played with both in store. The Air just feels like a big mini. No difference except screen size i could tell. Way lighter than the 4.

19. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Haha glad to make your day!

20. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

so you're saying a retina macbook pro is as clear as an iPhone ? or now an iPad mini?