iPad iPad Air with 10W charger (factory sealed)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ventuss, Jan 2, 2014.

1. ventuss macrumors 6502

I live in Brazil and Apple ships iPad Air with the 10W charger as standard. I don't really understand why they do it, but I suppose if they do, it means I am not going to damage my iPad Air by using it, right?

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Fairly certain that as long as it's a legit charger, the wattage won't matter. Because you can charge the iPad with an iPhone charger (it'll be a lot slower) or you can charge it from a computer without high power USB (same as the iPhone charger).

3. ventuss thread starter macrumors 6502

I even thought it was a mistake, so went to the website and it lists the iPad Air with the old 10W charger. They don't even sell 12W chargers here, it never got to Brazil, not even listed on Apple's website.

4. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

The ipad itself should control charge rate. That's why over sized chargers are ok and undersized ones will die...

Ipad probably draws 2A. It's charger can handle that fine, but an iphone charger is going to struggle.

5. blarivee macrumors 6502

iPhone charger will still charge the iPad. It'll take twice as long. Don't worry, the iPad will let you know if it cannot charge (like USB ports on laptops that have 0.5A current).

6. gatearray macrumors 65816

It might have to do with regulatory filings in your country, government rules about importing, etc. But either way, as everyone else said, you'll be fine, the 12w version they include in the US can just charge the iPad a little faster. :)

7. doboy, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

doboy macrumors 68000

12W version is NOT included with the Air or any iPad, AFAIK. You CAN purchase the 12W separately for $19.xx. 10W is the standard charger included in the box (at least in US).

Edit: Apparently, I need to take a closer look at my Air charger. :)

8. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

You are incorrect. iPad 4 and iPad Air come with 12w as the standard charger included in the box - in the US.

9. Atrin1 macrumors regular

my charger is 12w. came in the box with ipad air purchase

10. ScottW1 macrumors regular

Incorrect. I purchased an iPad Air in US from Apple on launch day, and it came with a 12w charger in the box.

11. RedOrchestra Suspended

Rather than spit-balling a WRONG answer, you can always go to the online Apple store and see what's in the box ... sheesh.

12. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Undersized chargers won't "die". Stop spreading misinformation.

iPad will draw 1A from iPhone charger and 2A from the iPad charger. Period.

I've confirmed this using a current meter, being the curious, tinkering sort. :)

13. doboy, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014

doboy macrumors 68000

I guess I made a mistake with the charger. Last time I looked at the charger was the one for the retina Mini I returned and that one was exactly same as my iPad 2 and 3. I'll take a closer look at the charger for my Air.

You never made a mistake? :cool:

14. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

That's a pretty inaccurate statement. Just because YOURS acted that way doesn't mean all will. If there isn't a current limiting circuit built into your charger, you WILL damage it. Devices control the charge rate.

In my experience , phone chargers overheat when charging my ipad.

15. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

A third party charger might have issues, but Apple chargers will correctly only charge at what the charger can put out.

An iPad will not draw more than 1A from an iPhone charger. Think about all the returns and complaints Apple would get if they did; most people don't care and will just plug their device into any lightning plug they can find.

Something is wrong with your hardware, or you're using badly designed third party chargers.

16. ticotoo macrumors member

US iPad air charger specs

My US iPad air came with a 12w 2.4A charger bought at a Apple Store.

17. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

18. ventuss thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you guys. It takes around 5 hours to fully charge, and since my last iPad was an iPad 2, charging was very fast compared to my new Air + 10W charger.

I asked a friend to bring me two 12W chargers from the US, in case Apple plans on never releasing it here (our iPad 4 use 10W as well).