iPad iPad Air with cellular... Are all the chipsets the same?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Mad Hatter, Nov 12, 2013.

1. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

As the subject says...

Are all the cellular chipsets in the iPad Airs the same?

The reason I ask is that the online store I want to purchase from has the Verizon version in stock, but I'm looking for AT&T or T-Mobile. Is it just a SIM change or do I need a specific model?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. dbrewer80221 macrumors regular

Here's how it works:

The iPad Air models each have the same chipset. In theory, you can swap SIMs to your heart's delight, and the device will pick it up. There are some caveats:

Sprint and Verizon will not give you a SIM card unless it is an official Sprint or Verizon device. This means if you buy the AT&T or T-mobile iPad, they will not let you use the device on their network. Verizon is especially anal about this, Sprint will do it if you pester them bad enough or find someone who doesn't know the company rules. You must purchase the carrier-specific model if you intend to use it with either of these carriers.

T-mobile will let you use ANY compatible tablet. AT&T seems to be in the same boat. Personally, I bought the T-mobile one because of the free data. It's nice to know that I can get an AT&T SIM card with minimal fuss if needed.

3. decon1 macrumors member

I went with Verizon to have their SIM and plan on using the Tmobile data SIM.

4. The Mad Hatter thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

Thanks for the info guys...

I'm going to go for the Verizon (since the store has them in stock). Then get a starter SIM kit from T-Mobile. I'd get them from T-Mobile, but they charge sales tax, and even with the Black Friday deals coming up, I'm still getting a better deal with no sales tax.

5. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

I plan on doing the same with my VZW rMini, but I'm wondering if it'll receive LTE signal. I know my original VZW Mini didn't receive AT&T LTE, but what about this years models? I mean T-Mobile HSPA+ is fine anyway, but I am curious.

6. dbrewer80221 macrumors regular

Not the case anymore. One chipset means that it can pick up LTE across all four major carriers in the US.

----------

That's a good plan if your primary service provider is Verizon. Since mine is AT&T, I didn't even bother picking up an AT&T model - since they don't care what device you're using on their network :)