iPad iPad Air with games , movie watching etc

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dahkot, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Dahkot macrumors member

I've seen the debate about the 1GB ram limitation in regards to multitasking , but wanted to see what are folks experience with the Air in regards to single tasks such as games (example Baldur's Gate 2) and at times movie watching be it a ripped file or an app like Netflix or CruchyRoll's etc.

I was going to wait for the next revision hoping for 2GB or more , but wanted something now to play games at times and fire up a movie or two , but am not really concerned with multitasking at this time on it.

Just wondered if it seems fairly speedy in single tasks.

(last Ipad I had was a 2 with 32gb , guessing it would be worth it to go 64 with file sizes getting larger for games and so on ?)

2. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Well, at this time you're not going to find a faster iOS device and if games, etc didn't run on the Air then they wouldn't run on anything else and thus wouldn't be released.

My Air has performed just fine with anything I've thrown at it and iOS 7.1 has made it even better.

3. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I push my Air as much as it allows me to.

I'm currently jailbroken, I mostly use the Air as laptop alternative since I don't have one, I have a Mac Mini though. But with tweaks like MiniPlayer & Videopane, gives me the ability to watch a movie and browse around. Or select some music without going to the Music App and browse around the iPad.

Another upcoming tweak called ProWidgets will allow me to somewhat multitask. I enjoy Apple products, I really do... I've had each iPad every since the second generation. I'm just hoping iOS 8 takes a different perspective... Mulitasking should be implemented, IMO.

Surface & Note 8 or 10 has multitasking... I don't plan on moving to those devices, but it would be awesome if Apple finds some way to implement it. I'm sure Apple is in no hurry... Eventually they will implement me. The iPad is a fantistic device as is.

4. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

I use my Air and the retina mini everyday to watch movies, play games, etc and have never noticed any problems with lag. Having said that, I will say that since the games I play are not graphic intensive that may make a difference.

One thing that will make a difference is if you go in and close out whatever apps you have worked with before you use a graphic intensive game. Double click on button and just start swiping upwards on each app you see. If you are running an older iOS than 7 then double click on button and start hitting the "x" to close the programs. Doing that will free up your memory. It is a good idea to do that periodically anyway.

5. fark macrumors regular

Could you explain this?

What do you mean by 'push my Air" and how does "allow" or not "allow" you to push it?

6. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The alleged RAM limitation doesn't affect anything except for safari and browsing which IMO means the issue is more with safari and memory management versus physical RAM. The issue has been hotly debated so I won't do that here.

Every high end, graphically intense game I play or HD show I watch works like a champ. Fastest iPad I've ever used. You'll be fine. Go for it.

7. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

except for the fact that some web pages take lots of ram to render, you are correct. Ram is fine for the apps of today, just don't expect to have more than 2 tabs open without experiencing refreshes. With 7.0.X, I had reloads with only two tabs and no other apps open. Have not played around with 7.1 enough yet to say 2 tabs can still yield a bad experience.