iPad iPad Air wobbly/wavy scrolling in landscape mode

Discussion in 'iPad' started by syd430, Nov 3, 2013.

1. syd430, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2013

syd430 Guest

Is anyone getting the wavy screen effect when browsing text based websites such as this in landscape mode?

While I had the same issue with my iPad 3 and 4, it was only evident in portrait mode and so wasn't an issue for me because I would only use the device in landscape mode.

Fast forward to the iPad Air, it now seems to be a reverse of the situation with the iPad 3 and 4, that is, the effect is present in landscape mode but not portrait mode.

Is anyone else having the issue? Did you eventually learn to live with it or should I swap it out now while i'm still in my 14 day return period?

For those of you who don't know what i'm taking about, here is a video that I found. This is evidently an extreme example, mine is nowhere near this bad, but just to illustrate the effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w_8dNDiVC8

Past threads that i've found for previous models:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1364631
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1343285
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1372488

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have not noticed this on my Air, though I could see it on the iPad 3 it replaced.

3. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

4. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I have a iPad 4 and doesn't do it, first i have heard of it, i have to stop reading this forum its doing my head in.
    Has the holiday return policy started in Australia yet?

5. syd430 Guest

6. syd430 Guest

Did you eventually stop noticing it? Also, was it in landscape or potrait mode?

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

On the 3, it was in both orientations. I did learn to ignore it. Does not occur on my Air at all as far as I can tell.

8. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I can honestly say I have NEVER seen anything like that ... on either my iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad Mini or this Air.

If any had experienced that, they would have been returned in a heartbeat. That made me ill to watch :(

9. Robster3 macrumors 68000

10. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

This is due to how LCDs refresh. Basically the screen refreshes one row at a time and you're seeing the "lag" of the later rows. That video is pretty extreme and could be exaggerated.

It happens on all LCD displays. Try dragging a window around quickly on your desktop either left-right or up-down (could be either way depending on the monitor) and you'll see the window takes on a slanted shape. This happens when scrolling on the iPhone as well (in landscape mode on 5/5s).

11. interfreak macrumors regular

interfreak

12. FAsnakes macrumors regular

Not getting anything like that here.. I'd swap it out - ASAP.

13. syd430 Guest

Yes, I understand the underling reasons for the effect, and the video above (which is not mine) is an extreme example, however please do not try and brush the problem off with "all LCDs do it".

While this is true, it's almost always never noticeable. I don't notice this on my Dell Ultrasharp U2410, 13" rMBP, iphone 5s or any other device I have, even when i'm trying to replicate it. On the other hand, I noticed it almost immediately on my iPad Air, and it's been bugging me ever since. I notice it in everyday use, not when i'm trying to go out of my way to find it.

14. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

I think every ipad and android hi res tablet does that. I own a note 10.1 2014 Ed and does that on portrait mode. I went to my local shop to check if its a common problem.

I tried 2 ipad4, a nexus 10 and another note and ALL DO THE SAME THING. It's there but some people notice it and some other don't.

15. syd430 Guest

As I said myself, my iPad 3 and 4 did it too, but only in portrait mode. Seeing I use my iPad 100% of the time in landscape mode, this wasn't an issue for me until I got the Air, as it does it in landscape mode.

Also, read the post above yours, I don't notice this effect in any of my other devices, so while the statement "all LCDs do it" might be technically true, the severity of it can certainly vary between devices.

16. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I had it on the iPad 3, its not present on my Air though. Different screen manufacturer perhaps?

17. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

It is website rendering page issues, no way it is hardware/ipad issue. Try the same page in another browser.

18. syd430 Guest

No, it's not. It's 100% a hardware issue. If you're not experiencing the issue and also don't happen to know anything about the issue, then please move along.

19. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

Did you tried another browser same page? Did you disable paralax? Hardware? :) Funny, which part of it exactly?

20. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

I had this on my 3rd and 4th Gen iPads. It was especially visible on the 4th Gen. It didn't bother me at all in day to day usage though. On my iPad Air I don't see this in either portrait nor landscape mode. Im guessing these screens have better refresh then before. Is it visible under natural light and fluorescent light? It was worse under fluorescent lights on my 4.