Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marko1965

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
Canada
Greetings,

I'm thinking of getting the iPad Air.. I herd that they will be new lineup come this Sept I think....should I wait ?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
There is no new line coming in September, most likely next year and not necessarily in Spring, maybe even later. The new air with M2 in the works won't come out before the iPad pro gets M3, the last one came last year and the air is on a 2 year cycle (which if anything might even be extended, as it's happening with the 2 year old iPad mini).

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
If there is definitely no Air being released in September (has this actually been confirmed) then jump on the current model straight away I guess.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
The Air got the M1 chip while that was still the current chip in the iPad Pro (Air 5 launched in March 2022 while the Pro didn”t get M2 until October 2022.)

It isn’t confirmed that there’ll be no Air this year, Apple don’t tell us when the next models are coming and people get caught out every year having bought products shortly before a new model launches. Rumours say it’ll be next year but Apple can always take us by surprise and the base iPad and main iPhone line (not SE) seem to be the only products that can be predicted with any degree of certainty.

The Air 4 launched in October 2020, following the Air 3 in March 2019, so purely going by the timing an Air 6 would be about due by September/October. Against that is that the Air and Mini have come in alternate years since 2020, making this year a Mini year. Then again, the Mini did go three and a half years with no update, so they could neglect it again and the Air could be next. Rumours also say no Mini this year, so who knows.

Reactions: snipr125

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
Greetings,

I'm thinking of getting the iPad Air.. I herd that they will be new lineup come this Sept I think....should I wait ?

I bought the current Air in 256GB when it was released in March of last year. It's a wonderful tablet, very sturdy and reliable. Used it WAY more than my last iPad Gen 8 model too. However, if there is merit to the rumors in September, I'd wait until there's a refresh with the M2. I hope they're clearer with the storage options along with the spec bump: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB and 1TB. The last one is a STRETCH to be clear, if they still pair it down to two, then 256GB and 512GB would be the best two in my opinion.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Buy for you need right now, and not for what may be…

No one, not even Apple employees, knows when new products are coming. Even the supposed “insiders”, like Kuo and Gurman, does NOT know.

Reactions: ericwn and progx

Marko1965

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
Canada
Thx I love it very fast ….. I did a benchmark and there’s not much of a difference between the 12.1 pro and the 11 inch pro

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I bought an Air just recently, so I’m sure a new one will release fairly soon. ;-p

I replaced a 12.9 pro and a 6th gen mini with the current Air, and I’m super happy with my choice. I had an 11” pro before, so I knew the size was great for both using at home with keyboard and taking along when traveling. I found the 12.9 a bit too big for that. The mini was nice except I love using the keyboards.

Anyway, haven’t noticed much difference with performance or anything else, other than having Touch ID vs face ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.