All iPads iPad And a Kindle?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Deefuzz, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Just curious how many people make use of both an iPad AND a Kindle in their daily lives or while they travel. I have a MBP that goes with me most places and an iPad 2 that I've been considering upgrading to an Air. I've been wanting to get back into reading so I have also been tempted in picking up a Paperwhite, but part of me thinks that all that tech traveling around is a bit of overkill.

Reading on a tablet can get a bit tiresome when I am trying to read a book on the Kindle app on an iPad, so the iPad becomes more of a video consumption device on the go and the MBP handles everything else.

So just curious and kind of polling the forum here, who makes use of both an iPad AND a Kindle and how does managing/traveling with multiple tech devices that do similar things work out for you?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I used to use a Kindle Paperwhite and the iPad 3, but since I've switched to the new iPad Mini w/Retina display, I've switched to reading everything on that. Now I have no use for the Paperwhite.

3. jojoba, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

jojoba macrumors 68000

I have both. I prefer to read books on my Kindle Paperwhite, with the e-ink screen and less distractions than my iPad. I use my iPad to read and annotate pdfs, which I do a lot of for work. When I travel, I usually take both, the Kindle is very small so bringing it along in addition to the iPad is not a big deal.

4. richardmu macrumors 6502a

November was an expensive month. I bought an Air, a retina mini and the new Kindle Fire 7" HDX. Use them all at various times but the Air gets most use. I just love tablets!

5. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I have the Air and rMini, but if I plan to read for any length of time I use the Kindle paperwhite because it is so much easier on the eyes and is smaller and lighter. I don't travel much anymore but when I did I usually took the Kindle for reading and either an iPad or laptop for everything else. I take the rMini everywhere with me and use it for reading, but if on a plane for several hours I want my Kindle.

6. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I have an iPad mini, nexus 7 and galaxy tab 2 10.1 but I still use a kindle paper white as my main reading device. Nothing beats eink for reading books for me.

7. klover macrumors 6502a

Owner of Air, rMini, and Paperwhite and I would only resort to using iPad for reading in a pinch.

Kindle is lighter, easier on eyes, smaller, and I'm less inclined to bring a $500+ device out in public just to read.

As far as I'm concerned, they are entirely different devices with different purposes.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My Kindle is collecting dust ever since I got my Mini (first gen) now that I have a rMini my reading experience has improved more so.

9. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

If you do a lot of reading, especially at night, the Paperwhite is a godsend. FAR easier on the eyes. For casual reading? The Air is plenty.

10. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

This really boils down to personal preference. For some people, reading e-ink screens is easier on the eyes while for others the opposite is true. I personally never saw the fuss about e-ink screens. My iPad has replaced Kindle devices for all reading. In fact, I don't even know where my Paperwhite is.

11. Powermax macrumors regular

I need both. The kindle is for reading books, the rMini for reading my RSS feeds.

12. Deefuzz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Wow thanks for all the feedback everyone! Sounds like there's a bit of love for keeping a Kindle on hand for dedicated longer reads, and it seems like something I should consider for myself. Now time to pick out what color cover to get for it!

Oh does anyone here have any experience with technical books/guides on a Kindle? I find it easier to flip back and forth with technical books (programming, networking, etc) when using a physical book than I have with an ebook in the past. Wondering how that would work on a Kindle since as far as I can tell flipping back and forth between pages to reference various things could become cumbersome.

13. slwiser macrumors member

I use both. Mostly my iPad Air for everything but when I am on the road or exercising when I let my Kindle read to me.

14. luckylisp macrumors 6502

I have always used Kindles and currently have a Kindle Paperwhite 2. It's just not really possible to read comfortably outside (which I do a lot of in the summer) on a backlit display so having a Kindle is a must for me. Even when reading inside, I find the Kindle easier on my eyes for reading for long periods of time.

15. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I agree. I have the original basic kindle and always felt it was a good product but my Air is a better reader and it never gets fatiguing to me. I don't use the kindle anymore, only the app on my Air.

16. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I use just the Air. I see no use for both that and a kindle.

17. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

the kindle is lighter and has a 2 month battery life but can only read books

the iPad has a 10 hour battery but can do anything

simple

18. Km133 macrumors member

I bought a new kindle paperwhite and an rMini recently. I was expecting to sell the kindle on once I got used to reading on the ipad but the kindle is just so much easier on your eyes. It also feels like I'm actually making time to read a book when I pick up the kindle... As another poster mentioned, there are too many other distractions on the ipad! Kindle is also easier to hold and more compact than even the ipad mini.

If I *had* to get by on just the ipad I could, but the kindle sure is a nice extra to have!

19. jojoba macrumors 68000

The Kindle is also much better for reading outdoors, especially in the sun. I was on public transportation today (no sun, just light) and had to switch from my Kindle to my iPad because the battery was running low, and it was just so much nicer to read on the Kindle.

20. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

I personally hate Kindles.

An iPhone or iPad just offers so much more to me, I enjoy the look and clarity of the text, the colourful and detailed illustrations and cover art and the seamless synchronisation between devices.

Some find it easier for reading and thats fine I won't deny people their choice but for me... Apples solution just works better and more satisfying.

The only plus I give Kindle is battery life and despite their tv ad saying 8 weeks with 30 mins reading a day >.> that you can still probably get a week between charging whereas iPhone its a few hours to a day at best.

21. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I have the Air and Mini and found I hardly ever use my Kindle. I sold my Kindle and am reading with the Mini now.

22. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Just spent 12 days in Bali, iPad is useless for reading outside. Bought a book:) People with kindles were good.

23. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I'm with snrub - When I can, I prefer to read books on my kobo aura hd (hacked with koreader) - like paperwhite, only higher resolution for pdfs

24. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

That sums is up for me as well. I don't really do Kindles.

Reading outdoors is definitely tough on an iPad, but I never do that anyway so it's not an issue. I'm not the type to lounge at a beach or by a pool and read a book. I'd rather be doing outdoors-y stuff if I'm outdoors. Imagine that!

25. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

Kindle has a 2 month battery life, rated for reading 30 minutes a day. That really ends up being about a 37 hour battery life I believe, which is still very good, but not really that much better when you consider how much less it is capable of.

I used to prefer reading on my Nook, but I love reading on the rMini now. Outdoors is a problem, but if I'm going to be reading outside, I'll just bring a real book :)