iPad and a Xoom - A popular combination?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Wondering, if you have an iPad and you are thinking you may upgrade in some way in the near future.

Given we all feel than iPad2 is only really going to be a tweak of iPad1 so realy you are not getting any major new experience for your money, just a little better of what you already have, almost exactly the same.

I don't, for example think many are expecting any major UI overhauls.

Say then, you are considering keeping your current iPad, perhaps for your partner, or a family device.

Given that scenario, then I could see something like a Xoom being a more interesting idea as it gives you a whole new experience, with the potential for more/different apps over the coming months.

You will then have the benefit of both devices and can use the best one for the task you wish.

I guess I'm thinking, in a family, a iPad1 and Xoom might be a more interesting combination to have than an iPad1 and iPad2

What do you think?

2. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Sounds like a nightmare to me. You would have to purchase 2 sets of apps and syncing with each other would probably be difficult. You wouldn't be able to find the same apps on each device. I just don't really see any benefit.

Of course if you are a major techy and/or have tons of money to blow then why not. As a techy I think it would be fun to have 2 sets of toys, but I think I would eventually migrate to whichever one I liked more.

and there won't be a major overhaul for iOS 4.3, but iOS 5 is just around the horizon...

3. hi res macrumors member

hi res

Gryzor?

...sorry, I'll stop.

4. Chilean.Miner macrumors member

Chilean.Miner

5. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

I was at Verizon today to get a case for my iPhone, and the guy asked me about the Zoom. I told him I just bought an iPad and he said "the zoom blows the ipad outta the water". Ok, maybe it's fabulous (it IS running Honeycomb), maybe it's not, but you have to have a monthly plan with it, and I don't want to add any more $$ to my bill.

I do enjoy the iPad, although I've had it not a week yet and am still figuring some things out.:D I'll be interested to see how the Zoom fares in a year or so.

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

You don't need a monthly plan but it's subsidized if you buy it that way. Oh, and I'm not in the market for a Xoom either way.

7. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Oh yeah, just to say, no way would I have two 3G models and have to pay for data.

I suppose, I just like the idea of having a iPad and Xoom so I could see the great apps that come out for both formats, as opposed to an iPad1 and iPad2 which are just going to be duplicates really.

8. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Either they are exactly the same, or they aren't.

Having a mixture of tech in a household is not a bad idea at all. Those who think otherwise obviously can't afford it.

No, please go on. It just shows how immature you are.

9. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

too much apple

I see your point and I too feel like I use Apple products far too much.

However when I buy something that isn't Apple I usually end up disappointed because in my experience nothing really works as well as Apple products.

10. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

I'll argue the opposite point. Having a mixture of technology is the mark of someone who'd rather tinker than use the technology. When you keep your home a homogenous environment, you make integration simpler, allow for sharing of tools between devices, and just generally increase the ability for interoperability. For example, in my house, we have 5 macbooks (1 air, 1 mbp, 2 current macbooks and 1 older macbook), 1 hackintosh, 2 ipads, 2 iphones, 2 ipod touches, 1 new appletv and 2 older appletvs. This allows for a level of interoperability that would be impossible if we had a mixture of windows, linux, mac, android, etc. I spend all day working on computers, I don't want to bother at home.

11. hi res macrumors member

hi res

Affordability is not the only reason to mix/not mix tech in a household...the first reply to this thread explains things beautifully. All is not money. And decisions for/against technology are not all based in dollar signs.

I don't think mixing tech and even tech between competing companies is a bad thing in any sense of the word. I have a MBP, iPad, and a W7 machine. My phone is a T-mobile, my gf runs an android phone.

everything really does boil down to money with Gryzor, but that doesn't have to be your end all be all when deciding whether or not to buy something. If you think it'll fill a niche in your life, fulfill your computing needs, or is just another cool toy then get it. Gonna be doing some shopping later today, and I'm gonna go toy around with a Xoom...if it's striking enough maybe I'll consider pulling out the cash (which by the way, stacks easily as tall as Gryzor's wife's Audi).

but prolly not as high as his ego...no, wait...just checked....it does.

12. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

They both have similar functions. Why have both? It is not like ps3 and xbox 360. Ps3 has exclusive games.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think that people will gravitate to a single device, be it the iPad or xoom. I think the iPad has too much going for it, and that will be the most used device.

Right now there's tons of apps, the performance is good and overall experience is great. Android is so different that its not a seamless transition, and people will stick with what they know.

The cost of the device and apps, is such that I think its not economically feasible to own both of them. Mixed marriages don't work ;)

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

As a developer and user, I keep a lot of different technologies around my lab and home.

Sync'ing contacts, mail and calendar on all of them is easy with Google. As for apps, I find what I need on most systems, and really haven't spent that much compared to my old WinMo $20 per app days!

I think one good reason to expose yourself to other systems, especially Android, is because they're going to be used everywhere. It's the same as knowing Unix, Mac and PC systems, or both stick and automatic transmissions.

Never hurts to be familiar with more things, be it food or computers. Plus you never know when something new will end up being a favorite.

15. gatearray macrumors 65816

I've yet to see a "great app" on the Android platform. Do you know of any?

16. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Angry Birds? :D

17. 482214 macrumors 6502

Man... Gryzor loves getting his wallet out.

I would really like to meet him in real life - or just a you tube clip of his daily goings on. He has to be either really young, really old or just really special.

I'm with a good mix - it means you can use anything and everything without being tied down to any particular brand/service. Also, keeps you away from brand snobbery shouts - an opinion from someone with both sides of the story is better than just one.

Lets not forget though, as Gryzor has pointed out its a good way to show off your riches... Another way of doing this is using gold teeth caps or having car wheels that spin in time with your necklace pendant.

18. Krandor macrumors 6502

It is easy to say the same thing about google. I have an iPhone and Apple TV, but still use Google search, Google calendar, Google mail, Google Maps, Google Earth..it is hard to turn around without running into something Google I use.

19. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

iOS has better apps but that doesn't mean Android doesn't have any. Yesterday I was using Nexus S and found it really good, it has really improved.

The way you're asking this question, you're indeed an Apple fanboy.

20. Krandor macrumors 6502

Since verizon doesn't have native 3G for the iPad (yet) for a Verizon customer he might be right. I wouldn't want to have the MyWi thing in addition to the iPad to make data work.

hmmmm.... I wonder if tomorrow there will be a full CDMA version of the iPad 2.