Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Hi all,

OK, downloaded the latest iOS update. When I move into my new place I'm going to get an Apple TV. While fooling around with the iPad yesterday I didn't see the icon on the iPad to send music to an AirPlay device. Does that icon only show up if the iPad detects an AirPlay device on your network?

Also, will I be able to stream from my iPad to an Airplay device my shared library (music is stored on my mac) or can you only stream music and movies that are actually on the iPad?

Thanks for any help!

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Hi all,

OK, downloaded the latest iOS update. When I move into my new place I'm going to get an Apple TV. While fooling around with the iPad yesterday I didn't see the icon on the iPad to send music to an AirPlay device. Does that icon only show up if the iPad detects an AirPlay device on your network?

Also, will I be able to stream from my iPad to an Airplay device my shared library (music is stored on my mac) or can you only stream music and movies that are actually on the iPad?

Thanks for any help!

1) The Airplay icon only shows if an airplay capable device (ATV 2 or Airport Express) is detected on the network

2) No, but you can stream directly from your computer to the ATV 2 (and use the iPad as a remote using the Remote App)

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
1) The Airplay icon only shows if an airplay capable device (ATV 2 or Airport Express) is detected on the network

2) No, but you can stream directly from your computer to the ATV 2 (and use the iPad as a remote using the Remote App)

Cool. Thanks!

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
If you use Home Sharing, you can see your iTunes library on the iPad. It will give you the choice to play over the iPad speaker or the Airplay device speakers.

The only benefit I can think of using it this way is if you want to switch back and forth between the iPad and the Airplay device. The Remote app works to control your computer directly, but doesn't give you the option to play on the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.