iPad and airport extreme

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jdmagoo1, Mar 28, 2011.

1. jdmagoo1, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

jdmagoo1 macrumors regular

To those that have an iPad and apple tv do you have any AirPlay problems? For instance every time i want to AirPlay a video from iPad to the apple tv I have to restart the iPad just to get the AirPlay icon. Very annoying, will purchasing the airport extreme solve this problem?

Another issue I think the airport extreme might solve is the continued drop outs in Internet connection i get since the os4.3 upgrade.

Any thoughts before I waste $160 on a device that might or might not solve my problems

Cheers

James

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

mine works flawlessly with the airport extreme.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

I use airport extreme to stream to my hifi first thing I tried when I got my ipad 2 works perfect.

5. jdmagoo1 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you get the same results for air played video as well?

6. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

Using iPad 2 over Airport Extreme with no issues. I even had it set up to bridge through a Netgear for a short time and it still worked.

7. joec1101 macrumors 6502

Is it jailbroken? I ask because I noticed this on my iPhone4 when it was jailbroken. After restoring back to non-jailbroken state the problem went away.

8. jdmagoo1 thread starter macrumors regular

No its not jail broken.

What security do people use on there WIFI networks? Maybe the ios devices dont like the security of the network?

9. joec1101 macrumors 6502

10. synagence macrumors 6502a

Are you using an 'N' 5Ghz network?

I found Home Sharing wasn't a pleasant experience until i switched it onto the faster network

11. jdmagoo1 thread starter macrumors regular

My network is 'n' 2.4ghz the billion 7300n adsl modem doesn't have the 5ghz. Also, I have tried different channels and have changed the bandwidth from 20/40 MHz to 20 MHz and still no difference

12. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

reset your router, reset your iPad...reset your modem. Maybe you have it set for static IP, maybe you have something enabled. There are a bunch of reasons it "Wouldn't work" if you do a total reset, it should fix all.

13. jdmagoo1 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeap have done all of that, numerous times. I think there are apple wifi devices that are not compatible with certain wifi routers etc. Anyway I will purchase a refurb airport extreme to see if that fixes the problem if not I will return within 14 days for a full refund

14. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

+1 same here.

15. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

not tried video my ipad a near full with my ALAC.

16. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

I've had the exact same problem, but it is intermittent. If I reset the iOS device, the iPad(1) or the iPhone4, everything works fine. When I am having the issue, it affects Airplay (no icon), so I can't stream to any of my Airport Expresses or to the ATV2. I haven't noticed if it affects Airprint as well.

I use an Airport Extreme in bridge mode as my router, with the U-verse router doing the modem work. All updates are installed.

If you figure it out, OP, please post the solution.

17. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

The router could just simply be on it's last leg and it's just a coincidence it's happening after you upgrade. The same thing happened to me. I had a Airport Extreme also. My internet would drop randomly, then if i restarted it, my iPad 1 would work for a while. Then it would stop working again. Believe me, it was frustrating.

18. jdmagoo1 thread starter macrumors regular

I purchased the airport extreme and it has fixed all my wifi and AirPlay issues, just goes to show that iOS devices are not compatible with all wifi routers

19. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

Same here.

20. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

Mine works flawlessly as well. (I use and Airport Extreme with a Airport Express as an extender)