iPad and Apple Care

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SteveKnobs, Feb 28, 2011.

1. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

I guess I should have asked this question beforehand: I have my iPad up for sale on eBay- it closes today. I advertised it as coming with the Apple Care Protetion Plan that I purchased with it.

Is this plan transferable to the new buyer? Or is limited to the original purchaser.

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its transferable, and generally you don't need to do anything.

If the buyer wants it under his name, there's a process to transfer it, but its generally tied to the machine.

3. SteveKnobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool thanks. One more question- is it ok to black out my name that is on the paperwork? I don't really want some random person to have that information.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/NA_APP_iPad_English_v1.2.pdf

6. Transfer of Plan
    Subject to the restrictions set forth below, you may make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your rights under the Plan to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer includes a copy of the Plan’s original proof of purchase, the Plan's Certificate and all of the Plan's packaging material, including printed materials and these Terms and Conditions; (b) you notify Apple of the transfer by sending, faxing or e-mailing notice of transfer to Apple Inc., ATTN: Agreement Administration, MS: 217-AC, 2511 Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758, U.S., fax number 916-399-7337 or agmts_transfer@apple.com, respectively, and (c) the party receiving the Plan reads and accepts the Terms and Conditions of the Plan. When notifying Apple of the transfer of the Plan, you must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the serial numbers of the Covered Equipment being transferred, a copy of the Plan’s original proof of purchase and the name, address, telephone number and email address of the new owner.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've done that myself at the behest of the buyer of what ever I'm selling, but I've also read that folks haven't needed to go through those motions and in fact apple doesn't usually check who's name is on the apple care but rather does the device have apple care in the first place.

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I would not black out your name. If you are selling through eBay they will likely know your name anyway via PayPal. Worry more about reformatting your iPad and making sure no credit card info is on your paperwork.

This is a straight up legal sale with the right of the buyer to use your remaining warranty.:rolleyes: