Ipad and back to school program

Discussion in 'iPad' started by STOCK411, Mar 2, 2011.

1. STOCK411 macrumors member

it seems like every 2nd generation of an apple product gets included into the Collage back to school program..
    so i am going to collage next year and wondering if you think the ipad will be included in the program like the ipod?
    i also know that apple is trying to make the Ipad a part of the education system, so it would seem smart to include it in the back to school program
    thanks

2. STOCK411 thread starter macrumors member

really?

if apples main mission with the ipad was to make this an educational tool, dont you think they would have it in the back to school program, or at least give collage students/teachers the education discount?

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I doubt it. If the product cycle were during the fall like the iPods then maybe, but the reason Apple does the buy a Mac/get an iPod program is to clear out older models because they release new iPods in the fall.

4. gofightlose macrumors member

gofightlose

That thought also crossed my mind. I definitely think they'll keep the free ipod rebate, and who knows, they may be kind enough to transfer that $200 to if you buy an ipad too. But I also doubt that they would, the ipad is already pretty cheap. Plus you can always buy the ipod and then sell it and use that money to get the ipad. We'll just have to wait and see.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Perhaps, if that was it. That's hardly Apple's main mission, though.

6. STOCK411 thread starter macrumors member

what about giving it an education discount for collage student's like they do for most of the products? (in the education store)

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

College. Just FYI since you will be going there.

I don't think they will include it, but hope they do. I bought a first gen 16gb wifi and the girlfriend is eyeing it, so an upgrade would be nice.

8. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I believe Apple offers a discount for schools purchasing iPads in bulk, but not to individual buyers.

9. STOCK411 thread starter macrumors member

hmmm, i just dont want to buy an ipad now, and then it either
    A: gets an education discount
    B:becomes a part of the back to school program...

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Then it looks like you'd best wait. I think the back to school program shows up in the summer?

Or you could push forward and just suck it up if you guessed wrong. Many decisions in life come with unknowns. May as well get started on being able to make a decision on incomplete information. You'd be surprised how often otherwise brilliant people get stuck in that sort of "analysis paralysis" and can't put their big girl panties on and choose (a) or (b).

To your question, I doubt there will be either program. I don't see a business jusification.

11. dwhynman macrumors regular

iPad's are already cheap enough I cant see them selling a $500 ipad and then giving away a $200 ipod to go with it. Also iPads, iPhones, and iPods have never been given edu discounts. I am a graduate student now and I can say that college would be almost impossible with just an ipad. You need a computer to go along with it. Ipads's are great but I feel that for students and professionals they are still computer accessories so use your education discount on a computer and if you get your free ipod use your edu savings, sell the ipod and then buy yourself an ipad.

12. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

Keep in mind that they discount everything you purchase too. My iMac, maxed out with eveything except SSD and 8GB RAM came out to be about $2240.000(should have been about $2580.000) with free iPod:D

But I still think that they won't offer the iPad as the main purchasing component because it would be odd to sell two iOS devices than one OSX(Mac) computer and one iOS device. The latter allows for the consumer to enjoy the best of both worlds, at the same time purchasing a higher-end higher-cost piece of machine.

13. VarsityBlue macrumors newbie

Back To School!

Hey guys i came to a awesome realization. So treads from last year were asking if iPads would be included with the promotional rebates, they obviously where not. The promotion ultimately aims to clear stock right?

Possibly this year if they still have any old ipads left, a rebate on them may be included? Its a long shot because the new ipads well be out for retail soon, and back to school season stats late may, more then 2 months away, but that would be awesome!

Any opinions? :apple::apple:

14. STOCK411 thread starter macrumors member

good point so you think i should get it now?