iPad and Baking

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wtmk81, Jul 12, 2011.

1. wtmk81 macrumors member

My wife got an iPad 2, two months ago. She loves it, especially for the baking apps that are available in the app store. She's uses ziplock bags to protect it from damage while in the kitchen. They work but are a bit cumbersome, I came across these and was wondering if anyone has tried them out? Thanks

2. taipan61 macrumors 6502

nifty idea (raw egg on a iPad :eek: )
    but while protected from all the wet and dry stuff i still wouldn't trust myself in the kitchen with it (professional Cook speaking) as i find counter space to minimal as it is and would likely place something heavy on it...:D
    have you thought about griffins under cabinet mount?

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/under-cabinet-ipad-mount-21-10-2010/

i still use the old paper method until i memorize the recipe

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Same here.
    I thought hmmm. iPad. Kitchen. Nice idea at first. But the realities of me frying, stewing, baking and general banging about… well the iPad does not come near the kitchen anymore. :p

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I love the phrase on their website

'Finally you can break an egg on your ipad, guilt free'... as if was somthing I've always wanted to do but was unable to do so, paralyzed with the guilt :D

We use a griffin cabinet mount for the ipad in the kitchen. Keeps it in view, but out of the way of dangerous spills, and is much more an elegant solution.

5. taipan61 macrumors 6502

so how do you like the griffin mount? i've looked at it but haven't decided on it yet (but to be honest would most likely use it to watch movies and such)

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's grand. It does the job no fuss - there's nothing really 'exceptional' about it, but build quality is solid. It's not one of those devices your gonna show off or get excited about, but it works.

It's nice that you have a good degree of motion and positioning with it though and you can push it away under shelf - counter when not using.

7. wtmk81 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Really appreciate them.

8. vega07 macrumors 65816

The average experimental cook can go through 50 of these in month. Not a practical solution due to cost and inconvenience of having to purchase more continuously.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It really depends on how pressed for counter-space you are in your kitchen.

I wouldn't put my iPad anywhere there was danger of it plunging into a sink full of water. And I wouldn't want large drops of blazing cooking oil sprayed over it. But the odd dusting of flour, or splash of marinara sauce is going to do it no harm. I typically put my iPad on a stand in a corner (preferably under a cabinet) and enlarge the text so I can read recipes easily from a distance.

I understand the idea behind the bags - but I don't think from a cost or convenience standpoint they are really worth it. IMHO the biggest hazards to an iPad are being dropped in a sink full of dishwater, or dropped onto an unforgiving hardwood or tile floor, neither of which will be ameliorated by a plastic bag. Take appropriate steps to avoid those last two - and worry less about the occasional (if tasty) smudge on the screen.