iPad and Clamshell MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by FA22raptero, Jun 14, 2011.

1. FA22raptero macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

So you know that day when you get to work/school and you go, crap, I forgot to e-mail that super important word document that I left on my computer to that super important person and i'm going to get fired/fail if I don't get it in to them... Good thing I have my iPad and mocha VNC right?! Not...my laptop is closed.

So I have mocha VNC, an iPad 2, a MacBook pro and an app called "Wake". I have hooked up my iPad to my computer Via bluetooth and removed all the restrictions, allowed remote users etc. I then connected the VNC, testing 123 it all worked marvelously. My question is this, do you guys know of a way to get a closed laptop to function from a wireless device like an iPad? I can wirelessly wake my computer using "Wake" if it is open, but if it's closed i'm out of luck...

I'm hoping to be able to wake it so I can use VNC.

I checked some other threads, but I couldn't find anything else quite like this...

Thanks!

2. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

The laptops have a light sensor that puts the system to sleep when the lid is closed. I believe that if you were able to wake your laptop remotely it would simply put itself back to sleep.

3. FA22raptero thread starter macrumors newbie

But the thing is that if you connect and external display or if you are using and external display and a bluetooth mouse/keyboard, you can use it in clamshell mode, so it's not a light sensor that does it.

4. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

As I recall, as long as your laptop is "plugged in" and you have it connected to a TV/monitor, you can wake it from sleep mode while the lid is closed, no problem.

5. Spankey macrumors 6502a

So when you are in school by the fall you can have everything saved to the cloud and pushed to your ipad. Hopefully. ;)

6. FA22raptero thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah but then what happens is you have to buy a monitor. I just mean as if I had just left it on my desk charging, closed and in sleep mode. It just seems a little redundant to not let access to it in sleep mode from another device, but if it's plugged in to something it's no problem. Thanks for your help!

7. Surely Guest

Surely

Why don't you just leave your MBP open on your desk while it's charging? You can still put it to sleep that way.....

8. FA22raptero thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah thats true, its just a lot more convenient and natural to close your laptop. Either way, I was just wondering, it would have been handy.