IPad and Elgato?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bmstrong, Feb 26, 2012.

1. bmstrong macrumors 6502a

2. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

What an interesting find. I will be anxious to see if anyone has some experience with this. Thanks for sharing!

3. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Oooooh, looks cool! - I'd like to hear a hands on review :)

4. poloponies Suspended

I think that's only been released in the UK. Reviews say it's spotty.

5. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

I haven't got that, but this instead. Regularly use it, utterly brill. There's a satellite model, too, I believe.

Be interested to know how your experiment is going on.... I've been trying something similar, though I cheat slightly, in that I have a Mini storing all my media....

6. Gorion macrumors member

I used to use an EyeTV several years ago. It worked really well for me. It would be cool if this was available in the US. Hopefully it will be soon.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

Since the OP mentioned...

I am going to assume that he is interested in the EyeTV Mobile or Tivizen and that the EyeTV Hybrid is not what he is talking about since it requires a computer connection.

The EyeTV Mobile is a very neat looking device. I would like to see one in person so get some perspective on size. This would be ideal for those that get the wireless only iPad and therefore are not able to stream video from anywhere.

8. makebeatz macrumors newbie

Slingbox Set-Top and Slingplayer software a thousand times over. Been using it since it launched for iOS in 2009 (then iPhone OS)
    Local and OTA
    Software works with iPad, iPhone, Android phones/macs Windows, Mac, you name it. Couldn't be happier.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I've played around with small antennas and they are very hard to tune in. you need to be in direct alignment with the local towers for it to work.

10. poloponies Suspended

Totally different device. The ElGato would make it a self-contained system, SlingBox requires web access.

11. makebeatz macrumors newbie

Why limit yourself? If you're going to make the plunge for TV in every room, why not make that TV available everywhere?

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

Does it work when not connected to a wireless network?
    Does it require Internet access with decent upload speeds for the Slingbox Set-Top box to stream the content to the iPad?

The device the OP is looking at doesn't require either of the above. A nice thing about the Slingbox solution is that it doesn't require a dongle hanging off the side of the iPad.

13. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

I've the Sat version of that and very happy with it. I tried the mobile version but the aerial is rubbish and you need a good signal to get even reasonable reception.

I have a satellite dish with twin aerial feed, one of which goes into an old Sky box (no subscription) to get the free sat channels on the main TV. This also then drives, via the coax out, a TV in the kitchen. The second aerial feed now goes into my Elgato Box and I have wireless TV on my iPad anywhere in the house. The bonus is that as I have a MacMini running 24/7, it can now record TV program's while I watch another channel, something I couldn't do before on the Sky box.

Very happy with the support from Elgato too. My first Netstream Sat froze out. I emailed Elgato on a weekend and they replied the same weekend with a fix and a link to a firmware upgrade. It's worked perfectly since.