Ipad and external keyboard vs iPad folio with built in Keyboard

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ElDogman, Mar 29, 2012.

?

which type of keyboard do you prefer

Poll closed Apr 1, 2012.
  1. iPad and a bluetooth keyboard

12 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. iPad with a folio and keyboard combined

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

which do you guys prefer?

an iPad with an external bluetooth keyboard (usually full size?)

or

an iPad folio with a keyboard attached to it?

2. drober30, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

drober30 macrumors 6502a

I used the Zagg Folio and it's very nice especially with some of the short cut keys like home, cut, copy and past. If you like having an external keyboard, then I recommend the Zagg. Contact them directly for one that works with the sleep wake function for the iPad3

However, I'm currently using the Incipio Lexington and the built in keyboard on the iPad is fine for me.

3. alba-ny macrumors newbie

I don't always need a keyboard, so I do not want to always have it attached via the cover thing.

I use an Apple keyboard from my computer, but I eventually plan to buy one devoted to the iPad if it seems necessary. Mine gets clipped into a case that I made following... Er... Copying the origami thing. (I couldn't stand the pu material and Velcro.) this works great so far. I just slide it into whatever bag I carry the iPad in. If I don't think I'll need it then all I have is the slim little iPad. Big improvement over my MacBook pro for travelling. :)

4. DarthElevator macrumors newbie

I have both setups, but I prefer having the separate keyboard. I don't usually take it with me when I'm on the go. But at home whenever I need to type more than a couple sentences, I use the keyboard. The keyboard case is just too bulky and not worth carrying around, for how little I need the keyboard on the go.

Ditto the comments on the Zagg keyboard being good. I have the Zagg keyboard that comes with its own case that also can be used as an Ipad stand, which is nice. The cut and paste keys are extremely convenient. Also, the buttons to control your music are pretty cool, too.

5. ElDogman thread starter macrumors 6502

ElDogman

oh wow didn't expect to see ipad and separate keyboard to be winning!

i need a keyboard for my iPad so i can take notes in class.. but also worried how having it attached to the folio would affect my use at home (i.e. just lying in bed or on my lap) where i dont type.

although yes i think there's now keyboard folios with easily detachable keyboards like that new Belkin one.. but the keyboard is held in place by velcro but i wonder about the velcro wear since i'll probably be attaching-reattaching the keyboard on a daily basis

6. mcsenerd macrumors regular

Apple Bluetooth keyboard w/Incase Origami Workstation and new iPad is making me leave my laptop at home over and over and over again... Love it!!!:D

7. ElDogman thread starter macrumors 6502

ElDogman

you don't find it too bulky to carry?

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I think any keyboard is going to add bulk and weight to carry, unless it's so tiny as to be unusable to my sausage fingered hands.

Lot of good things going for that combination. It's fine if you want to do some occasional moderate to heavy typing. I leave the origami and keyboard in my car, so I don't have to carry it with me everywhere, but it's never more than five minutes away if I need it.

9. 545h4 macrumors newbie

If I need a laptop, I'll haul around a laptop.