Ipad and Facebook games

Discussion in 'iPad' started by theslaz, May 6, 2012.

1. theslaz macrumors 6502

Thinking of buying my wife a iPad for her birthday. She plays a lot of Facebook games. Will this be possible on the Ipad?

2. Jaab8279 macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if hey work directly through Facebook, but the majority have an app that connect to Facebook. This is how I used to play FarmVille. The games available for the iPad are much better than the fb ones, if she's a fb gamer she'll find many games to suit her needs. I know I have ;)

3. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your quick reply.
    I don’t think she cares if the game is played from within Facebook. Just as long as she can play them. I just hope that I can find an App for all of them as I think she has about six on the go!

4. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Just go to the the App Store online and search for the games you need before buying.

5. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

All the games on Facebook are Flash-based so won't work on the iPad. Any of the 'questionnaire'-style teasers won't work either (i.e. "Find out which Harry Potter character you are").

For any of the Zynga games, and that's nearly all the popular ones, you can usually get an app which is often superior to the Facebook-based version. Most are free ad-supported, or 99 cents for the non-ad versions.

Some other games like Scrabble are a little problematic. In the US the Scrabble app ties into Facebook I think, although I also heard they removed this function. The UK version doesn't, and is pretty poor.

6. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.
    I’ve done some searching through Goggle and have come up with what looks like a good site that explains everything I need to know. I’d post the link; but I’m not sure if it is possible on this site.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Just copy and paste the link into a post. It'll format automatically.

8. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually I wasn’t sure wether it is allowed on this forum. Some forums don’t allow outside links!

9. eneisch macrumors 6502a

There is also a third party browser that allows the playing of flash based games called iSwifter. It is avaiable on the App Store. I think it costs $4.99 for the full version. I picked it up for free during a promotion a while back. It is more like a remote browser, where the flash decoding is done on their server. It can be also used to watch flash video (which is what I use it for). Not sure if lag is a problems in games though...

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It is. People link to other sites all the time. Do post that site you found, I'm curious to see this explanation that helped you.

11. TrentS macrumors 6502

TrentS

No Runescape

I tried the free iSwift version for 7 days and it worked pretty good, even with Youtube videos and all the annotations there. But I tried it with Runescape, and it said you also need Java support to play it, so it won't work on iPad's as far as I know.

:( :( :( :(

12. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

It just depends on if the game developer made an iPad app. The cool thing is that usually if it runs on Facebook and also has an iPad app, the app is usually free and can be played offline.

13. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

14. nickn macrumors 6502

Yes, as said, iswift should work. Not to sound like a total *** here, but are those games really important anyways? I have yet to find even one game that is either fun, or not a total a waste of time on facebook. You might be happier with an app based game found on the app store, as many are far more advanced, such as console quality dead space that I recently picked up.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

16. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Remember this is my wife playing these games. I’m not about to tell her what games to play!