ipad and google sites

Discussion in 'iPad' started by monta17, Nov 19, 2011.

1. monta17 macrumors member

My daughter is a teacher and their school is now using google sites to create all of the classroom websites. Since her old iBook is failing fast (and google sites won't work on it anyway since the OS can't be updated...it's that old), she is thinking about an iPad. However, some of the older info she has come across says that Google Sites doesn't work on an iPad. One post somewhere said that it will work now as long as you have iOS 5.

Does anyone know if this is correct? Would be tragic for her to get one and then not be able to use if for this purpose.

Thanks!

2. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

What do you mean by "Google sites" exactly? If you're talking about YouTube then no, you can't view the native desktop site and see the videos since they use Flash. Of course, there's an app for that.

As for everything else it works fine.

3. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Google is the only search engine I use. Since day one with my iPad 2 on (March 2011) I've been able to access Google sites faster than I can on my office Windows computer. The iOS version doesn't matter. It just works.

Now, if you mean Google's browser Chrome, no, that won't work on the iPad. There's a browser called iChromy, but I've never used it since my browser's bookmarked to Google's home page.

4. monta17 thread starter macrumors member

5. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

It seems to be working fine on my iPad 1 running iOS 5.0. Just keep in mind that you can't directly upload any files or anything from the iPad to any website.

6. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Isn't there iCab or something?

7. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

No problem editing Google Sites with iOS 5 installed on iPad.

8. monta17 thread starter macrumors member

Hi All,
    Thanks for all the info. My daughter did go ahead and get an iPad earlier this evening she seems to be able to work on Google Sites, and the other Google applications (Google Docs, etc) just fine. So we're very happy about that and want to say thanks again.
    Cheers!