ipad and home automation?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thedon1, Apr 4, 2011.

1. thedon1 macrumors 6502

So I got an ipad 2 and I really like it, it's my first ipad. I'm in the UK and have Sky TV. There's a sky app that shows the tv listings and if i set something to record, my box will record it. I can also do this from my iphone and it is very useful.

I was thinking about other things people have developed like that blood pressure monitor that interfaces with the ipad.

I would love it if i could control my lights from my ipad, change a setting on my fridge etc.

Reading the rumours that apple are trying to license airplay with video to TV manufacturers, it's seems a logical step to try and create a modified version of this for other devices.

What other things do you think the ipad could be used for around the house?

2. peteknopp macrumors member

home automation

I have this using Marmitek stuff.

melloware do an app - X10 - for phone and ipad to control 'Thinkinghome' (allwaysthinking.com) on your Mac which send signals to Marmitek modules

intellihome.be has a wide range of stuff.

I found it all worked a bit better on a PC but you can set a macro with marmitek remote which will dim all lights and change all tv and amp settings ready for a night on sofa with popcorn. Also lights on and off at dusk and dawn with half hour leeway so not consistent times

3. eye4ni macrumors member

I have been looking into this as well, and if you don't mind a [fairly large] initial investment, Control4 home automation systems have fully integrated with an ipad app to control pretty much anything in your whole house.... I want it, but thinking it might cost upwards of $5k I might just keep dreaming.

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Hi All,

I have the Marmitek CM15 Pro. For the Mac and IOS devices I also use the Indigo software. It could be that this is waht you're looking for.

So, here comes my question, maybe someone has a similar setup or can help me!
    The CM15 can be programmed under Windows, but for day to day use, I only want to use my iPad or iPhone (and not that annoying remote touchscreen thing from Marmitek! Don't buy this, it will frustrate the H@ll out of you!). However in that case I need to keep my iMac running 24/7, which is not an option. I think an IOS device is more than powerful enough to send the commands directly to the CM15 through WIFI and then a router can relay the commands through USB to the CM15.

So, I'm looking for an app that can communicate directly to the CM15 (for instance by connecting it via USB to my router (which is an Airport)) from my IOS devices without having a computer inbetween. Does anybody knows if this exists? Thanks!