iPad and iMac - How can they interact

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PatriotInvasion, Mar 11, 2011.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I posted a similar thread this week, but still debating whether to get an iPad 2 since I've invested so much in my gorgeous 27" iMac and iPhone 4 recently.

For those who have a newer iMac, do you think the iPad 2 will totally cannibalize your use of it? Like do you envision your iMac collecting dust while you're home because you'll be hanging on your couch with the iPad? I really enjoy sitting at my desk in front of that 2560x1440 27" display and don't want it to go to waste. I won't even get started on the conflicts with my iPhone 4...

So tell me again people - is the iPad 2 a waste of $ for me if I'm perfectly happy with my iMac and iPhone 4 and don't have a huge need for mobility?

2. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

I have a 27" iMac, an iPad (sold it last week) and an iPhone 4.

I use the iMac only for work (web design) and movie/tv show watching, everything else I do is on the iPad and I only use the iPhone when I'm outdoors, now that I don't have the iPad I miss the think like hell , as I am in Europe, no Ipad2 for me till the 25th :(

3. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

at the end of the day only you can justify whether its worth buying one or not.

I for one bought my iPad without any real NEED for it, and while it has influenced a change in the usage of my iMac/iPhone i feel its complemented the experience, rather than cannibalized anything.

4. Mac-converted macrumors newbie

I have an iphone 4, a 27inch new Imac, and an Ipad from last April. I use them all, but I actually get more use out of the Imac than the Ipad. Not really sure I need the Ipad anymore, as I do move the imac around from room to room, and enjoy using it more than the Ipad.
    I guess to each his own.

5. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Such a personal preference issue. What I like the iPad for, among other things, is as a Netflix viewer. Sure, I could watch the same videos on my MBP, but that would take the computer over.

6. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

So I ended up getting the iPad 2, but my 27" iMac is still my pride and joy. I'm viewing the iMac as my powerhouse beast of a computer and my iPad and iPhone as complimentary devices that the iMac can build content for.

The iPad is now used when I'm lounging around the house away from my desk. The iPhone is a more portable version of the iPad that I have in my pocket all day long outdoors.

So in the end, it really is the ideal Apple set up for me. Is it device overkill? Sure, it is a little bit, but I can afford to have all three at the moment so why not live it up while I can.:D