iPad mini iPad and infants

Discussion in 'iPad' started by noobinator, Sep 5, 2014.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

My 15 month old son loves the iPad to watch videos but he keeps pausing it every time he touches the screen, or he restarts the video or just changes apps etc.

Is there any solution to this? Even the apps I download for him have the same problems. Unfortunately he hasn't mastered the art of being careful and not touching where he is not supposed to yet.

2. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Guided Access is perfect for this and is what we use when our son has access to the iPad. On my iphone (sorry, iPad is at home) it's under Settings>General>accessibility>Guided Access. You can turn off all touch input, button input, or even define areas on the screen that block/allow touch. Once turned on in settings, it's easy to activate/deactivate with a triple tap of the home button.

3. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

He'll grow into it. :) My two year old did the same thing; now that she's grasped the if-I-touch-it-it'll-change thing, she does much better.

Random connection, though: If the home button is an issue, try an Otterbox. My daughter still can't quite push the home button with the Otterbox on the iPad - she'll grab my hand and say "Daddy push it!" My mom has an iPad with the Smart Case and she pushes her home button over and over every time she uses it. :)

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I can't even push the home button on an Otterbox. :D :p

5. jhmaughan macrumors newbie

Just let it roll

My kiddo has had her own iPad Mini since she was around a year old (didn't take me long to realize I didn't want her on my iPhone making work calls). At first all she wanted to do was press the home button and swipe on the home screen. We then went the Guided Access route for a while to keep her in an app and let her tap around without accidentally exiting. However, we soon noticed that frustrated her because she was intentionally trying to exit apps to use a different one, so we didn't end up using it very long; maybe only two or three weeks.

Ultimately the best solution for us was to make sure the apps we had on there were age appropriate, not too many, and educational rather than just entertaining. We let her do what she wants on it and add different apps as she advances. It’s been great. She’ll do words, letters, numbers, coloring, drawing, music, whatever she’s in the mood for.