iPad and iPhone 3gs tethering with Netshare

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by LaquishaMushu, Apr 5, 2010.

1. LaquishaMushu macrumors newbie

LaquishaMushu

Would someone be able to assist me in setting up Netshare with the iPad and iPhone 3gs? I have been trying to find the SOCKS proxy on the iPad and cannot find it. Please help. Thank you.

2. KCWolfPck macrumors regular

The iPad doesn't have the same network settings as a MacBook or PC. Your not going to get Netshare to work without a jailbreak. Best bet is to jailbreak your iPhone and use a betting tethering app.

3. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

And to just to put it out there, if you've never JB'd your 3GS phone before and you are running on firmware 3.1.3, you are not going to be able to JB it, period. If you google it, it's going to seem like you can because of a lot of misleading websites, but you really, really can't.

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

It's possible to connect the iPad to NetShare but it is anything but easy. NetShare requires a SOCKS5 proxy connection. If you Google connecting an iPhone to SOCKS you'll discover that it's possible but you'll have to create a configuration file and jump through hoops to get the connection made.

Sadly, it's not anything at all like connecting to a regular access point. Since there is hardly anyone out there with NetShare (as compared to the iPhone user base / it was estimated that only 10,000 got NetShare) since it was pulled so quickly I doubt that anyone will put a lot of effort into working through an easier way.

I got NetShare in its reappearance on that day when it was available a couple of hours more before it was pulled completely. I decided last week to go down the jailbreak route rather than mess with NetShare.

5. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Realizing this is an iPad forum and not iPhone, I have the original 3g running 3.13. Possible to JB or no?

6. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Jailbreak the phone and use an application called "MyWi", works perfectly. :)

The phone will become a mobile hot spot, of sorts. It will drain the battery of the iPhone quicker than what the iPad will last, so you might want to make sure it's plugged in, or you're only doing a brief bit of surfing.

7. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Yes, you can jailbreak the 3G on 3.1.3. Some people use Sn0wbreeze but I tried for over two hours and couldn't accomplish it. I had a myriad of iTunes error messages which were the same as many people have reported.

I took a break for a day and did some more research. I then got Blackra1n and it was accomplished in a few minutes.

8. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

The OP has a 3GS on 3.1.3. He can't jailbreak at this time.

9. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I was under the impression that a 3.1.3 ready jailbreak was released? :confused:

*goes to check hackery forums/sites*

10. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

On everything but the 3GS

From Redmondpie:

3.1.3 on the 3GS only works from a previous jailbreak.

11. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

12. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

So to make the iPad work you had to have the macbook? I have both HandyLight and Netshare, but only need to tether iPad 2.