iPad and iPhone charger diferences. Can I use only one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LeandrodaFL, Sep 16, 2014.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

1) Hello, curious question, the charger on the left is an iPad Mini (1st generation) and the charger on the right is an iPhone 5. Why is the iphone charger so much bigger?

2) Now, I happen to have bought the iPad in USA and the iPhone in Brazil, this may be due to eletriciy local policies. And also this got me wonderin, certainlly a dumb question:

Since both are lightning conection, can I use the same charger to charge both devices?

Attached Files:

2. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Yes.

3. msavard macrumors newbie

iPad Charger delivers 2.1 Amps
    iPhone Charger delivers 1 Amps

I've been told that the 2.1 Amp charger will fry an iPhone over time, but I've read nothing to corroborate that, I'm guessing the phone just steps it down to 1 Amp and charges as normal.

Using an iPhone (1A) charger with an iPad will charge it, just slowly.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The larger of the two chargers should work just fine for both.

A larger capacity charger cannot force a device to accept more current (amps) than the device requests. The device will draw as much power as it needs to to correctly charge it's battery and no more.

5. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

You can charge your iPhone perfectly fine with an iPad charger, and it won't fry your phone. iPhones regulate the amount of power they receive.

6. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

op I have been using just one charger for years, going back to iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Never had issues with iPhone.

7. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

You are correct, the Brazil charger is bigger due to local policies. The US iPad mini charger is exactly the same as the US iPhone charger.

In short, the 1st iPad mini and the iPhone use the exact same charger. The chargers you have are completely interchangeable between the 1st iPad mini and the iPhone. If you would have bought the iPhone in the US and the iPad in Brazil, you would have received the exact same combination of chargers.

Feel free to use both chargers with both devices. If you would have bought both devices in the US, you would have received two of the exact same chargers. And if you would have bought both devices in Brazil, you also would have received two of the exact same chargers.

Disregard the other posters, unfortunately they do not understand your question.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You've got that backwards. Left is iPhone, right is iPad.

9. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Actually I didnt. this is how the products are sold in Brasil. Ask Anatel why. Unsubscribing now.

10. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

This is correct. Long before, i think Iphone 4 comes with bigger adaptor ( the one on the right) the adaptor size doesn't always determine the voltage. Ipad mini (the worst ipad ever the come out) equipped with 5W iphone adaptor. People complained it took forever to charge but since its non-retina, so smaller battery capacity can last longer but the adaptor gets really hot when charging. Ipad mini obviously can eat more than that. Apple later release the 12W bigger adaptor for 20usd. Some bought it for there Ipad mini 1.

11. Radiating macrumors 65816

Yep. Also the iPhone 6 is th first iPhone that you can charge faster with an iPad charger, as it will draw more than 1 amp.