iPad and iPhone versions of the same app?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chwisch87, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Chwisch87 macrumors 6502

Ok while browsing the app store recently, i looked at wine rating app and saw that it had two versions, an iPhone version and an iPad version. They both were 2.99 or 3.99 not sure which but either way, this makes me curious: if have bought the iPhone version and a new iPad update comes out or a new iPad version, this mean I have to pay the 99 cents or whatever again to get it on my iPad??

That kind of comes across a big as double dipping by the developers esp since they only thing they are really doing is increasing the output resolution to match the ipad ...

confirm or deny?

2. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Developers have the ability to make a universal binary version which would just merely push out as an update. If you have an iPhone it would install as an iPhone app. If you have an iPad it would install as an iPad app. All this at no additional cost.

Developers choose to make spinoff iPad apps. If there is a separate iPad app you pay the full amount. Welcome to iPad. How about a $16 book? :)

3. hazmatzak macrumors regular

Not necessarily. They might completely rework the UI to take advantage of the extra screen real estate and UI features, just like Apple has done with their built-in apps.

Also, some apps might have new bigger resources, like graphics -- games are a good example. If you make a universal app, when you install on an iPhone, that's just a bunch of unused bloat. So not only do they rework the game, but you may not want to install that on the iPhone.

The developer makes their judgement call and the (prospective) customer makes one too.