iPad and MacBook Usage ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by augustya, Feb 22, 2016.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

My question here is to people who have an iPad and a Macbook both. Do you guys get to use your iPad or do you use MacBook more ? What I am trying to know is when both these devices have their own advantage and charm to use it , why the need of having both ? And If you have both these devices how do you make sure that you use both these devices equally good enough. When one is there why the need of another ? How do you manage your usage between these two devices ? As in which or when and how ? Or does one take a beating on usage !

2. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I have both and my iPad gets 95% of the usage. My MBP is pretty much plugged in all the time (though I do make an effort to cycle through the battery at least once a month) and used for downloading shows and streaming them. But if I have to do a lot of typing or work in Pages, I definitely prefer the keyboard of the MBP.

3. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

My Macbook far exceeds my iPad useage. The iPad is strictly a bed screen, and even in bed I'll still mostly use the macbook anyways.

4. Borin macrumors regular

Borin

My rMBP definitely gets more usage, but I use it for work. In the house, neither get more use than the other, but the iPad is pretty much relegated strictly to use on the sofa, at the dining table etc. I tend to just carry the rMBP around the house in one hand instead of the iPad, simply since I can do more on it.

5. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

The reason why I ask this question is, because I have an iPad-3 it is 4 years old, and with the New iPad Air-3 which is gonna launch next month I am planning to upgrade my iPad. But I also have plans to buy a new rMBP sometime this year and it will be the first ever MacBook that I will ever purchase in my life, but the question that very often that comes to my mind is, How much of it am I gonna use by using an iPad the use of rMBP gets minimised and by using rMBP the use of iPad gets minimised, so how does one use it simultaneously, does it make sense to buy both the devices when at no point of time is one gonna use both the things simultaneously, I mean how can one use both the devices simultaneously ?? is what I am thinking !

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Do you have any other computer, like an iMac, Mac mini, Windows PC?

7. Legendts macrumors regular

Legendts

I'm pretty much in a similar situation to Augustya in that I have an iPad 3, iPhone 6 with an iMac at home. Being retired we do a lot of caravanning and I find I hardly use the iMac other than for stuff I can't do on the iPad and have been contemplating buying to take with us on the road. So instead of updating my iPad, (was thinking a Pro but too big to carry in the bush) returning my iPad 3 to factory spec and download photos etc to the rMBP and onto an expansion drive. Does that sound like a realistic option?

8. Obi Wan Kenobi macrumors 6502

Obi Wan Kenobi

I have both. I use my MBA for work, and my iMac for work at home (or when a larger screen is needed). Although there are many apps for iPad, I don't find it very satisfactory as a work tool. Ultimately, if you want to do anything productive, you need a keyboard (preferably a full size keyboard so you can touch type). If you need a keyboard you may as well get the laptop. They keyboard will be better, and you won't be using scaled down versions of apps.

However, for leisure time and holidays, the iPad can't be beaten. Games, apps, casual browsing, movies, it's awesome.

You just need to decide what your priorities for your new device are.

9. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Ipad is pretty much completely redundant - it's not a comfortable device for anything.
    The only time i know use an iPad is to keep the kids quite watching a movie in the car.

rMBP now travels everywhere with me.

10. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Yes as of now I have a Windows PC !

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Ok, so why do you need/want a MacBook?

Whether or not you'll use both the iPad and MacBook really depends on what your computing needs are. Some people use both equally, some people use one more than the other, and some people find they only need one and not the other. You need to tell us what you want to do with your devices.

12. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Well ! Call me an Apple Fanboy or whatever ! but owning and using Apple devices is so much fun !! It makes your life so easy and fast ! First time I ever came across an iPad I was like whoa !! What the f**k is this thing ! It is just amazing it is just out of the world was my reaction and than eventually I had my hands on a rMBP and I said to myself wow ! This thing has to be part of my life ! It is incredible ! it is phenomenal etc...So owning a rMBP is a Life Ambition lol ! If you wanna say so...It is like having a Mercedez of the computer world ! So though I don't need an Mac because even a Windows PC can do the stuff,but owning a Mac and being in the Apple Eco System is Nirvana ! So my computing needs on a personal level are very average normal web browsing, movies, using some APPs which can make my life quick and easy ! But with Mac and also an iPad you never know how can they come handy in your life, hence the pursuit for excellence ! :)

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Okay. Well then I think the rMBP can replace your Windows PC, and you'd keep using the iPad the same way you are doing now. Does that help you decide whether you'd upgrade your iPad first, or buy the rMBP first?

14. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Unfortunately I am still in the same fix as before, Perhaps what I was also asking is, Since I already have an iPad even though a very old model, should I prioritise things and than decide do I buy a rMBP first or an iPad is also required ? but based on my current usage I don't know if I am using the iPad as much as maybe others do ? But I still feel like upgrading the iPad which would come next month for the sheer thin weight and the thin bezels, the iPad 3 that I have except for the Retina Display feels like an old generation Cadillac Car with that bulky weight and broader bezels ! But the question that comes to my mind is looking at my current usage should I even invest it in upgrading the iPad further is it worth it ?

15. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

And i think my stance (which is in opposition to AFEPPL's) really shows this is a personal decision. You ask two different people and can get two conpletely different answers. So perhaps we should be asking the questions:

How do you use the iPad? How do you use your PC? Do you find yourself wanting more out of the iPad (speed, etc) while happy with the overall experience? Is your PC at a point where it would benefit you to get a new one?

It sounds like at some point you want to upgrade the iPad and get a rMBP. So, it probably comes down to: which do you want to upgrade first? Which would provide more benefit to you right now? Is the possibility of the Pencil or Smart Keyboard enticing? Do you find yourself waiting on your PC too much to finish tasks, or wish it were more portable?

Honestly, i think the right answer is the one that addresses your wants/needs most. Waiting until March to make the final decision helps, since we dont know facts around the Air 3 yet, and we may see rMBP updates in the next few months too. There's also the option of getting an Air 2 on sale or from the refurb store after they announce the next model which would make it cheaper if you dont like the new features.

16. friedmud macrumors 65816

I have both. The breakdown is roughly like this:

iPad Pro:
    • School (taking notes, doing homework, reading/marking up papers)
    • Casual stuff (games, web, etc.)

15" MBP:
    • Progamming (For work or school)
    • Presentations (Keynote/Powerpoint are still better on a laptop)

Essentially: if I'm not programming (or making a presentation) I use my iPP. What percentage of my time goes either way is different every week depending on what I need to do... but generally I would say I use my iPP about 70-80% of the time since it gets used for both School and play...