iPad and Math - Help Please

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BigMacUBC, Jan 28, 2011.

1. BigMacUBC macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I've googled this and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'm an university student looking for an app in which I can take math notes with.

I have seen someone with an iPad app in which you write something with a pen on the iPad and it comes out automatically typed above like if you typed it with the keyboard.

Thanks for any suggestions

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Post this in the iPad apps section to get a better response.

Cheers

3. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

4. FubsyGamr macrumors regular

I use the app NoteTaker HD, and it works absolutely perfectly for my math, engineering and programming classes. I can't even explain how much this has helped me in my University experience. I'm taking upper-divison Math classes, and this app works like a champ. I also use it for importing all of my PDF's, be them syllabi or practice-exams, and even homework, and I can do them all right there on the iPad, then email them back, annotations and all.

The "zoom-in" feature is top notch, and I've never had any issues at all. I absolutely love taking notes on it, and I find it even better than pen and paper. Being able to then put those notes, as PDF's, up onto my computer and view them there, as well as email them to classmates, is also pretty great.

I'd suggest it for any student.

5. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

Can you upload an example of one of your PDFs?

6. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

The app you're looking for is WritePad. It is OK, but I find the handwriting recognition not accurate enough to be worthwhile. This may not be any fault of the app, it could be my lousy handwriting or just a downside of the type of screen used on the iPad.

For freehand note-taking I have tried most of the apps out there and find Notes Plus to be the best so far.

7. FubsyGamr macrumors regular

Sure! What do you want to see? A "blank page" with my notes on it, or an imported PDF that I have annotated?

8. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

The imported PDF that you have annotated. Thanks!

9. seajay96 macrumors 6502

I can't disagree more about WritePad...I use both French and English versions almost daily and they work great. However, I'm not so sure how well they would work for the OP. Even in numbers and symbols modes, it doesn't recognize equations (like integrals, greek symbols, super/sub scripts, etc.).

For freehand, Notes Plus is pretty good, but the last updates really chopped the screen in half in zoom mode and rendering a full page of notes seems pretty slow. I've moved to Note Taker HD and it works very well for me.

10. seajay96 macrumors 6502

I'm going to steal his thunder, because I really like NoteTaker HD. The only thing I don't necessarily like is that the annotations aren't editable in another PDF program. Goodreader does much better at PDF annotations in that respect, but if you just want to take scribbled notes and such, NoteTaker works great.

Attached Files: