Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
i do a lot of writing using MS word . is there a way i can work on MS WORD using ipad ?

mizvalorie

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Don't think so. If i remember correctly ms said they weren't making an app for iPad. Use pages you can export and import .docx.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Don't think so. If i remember correctly ms said they weren't making an app for iPad. Use pages you can export and import .docx.

They did say that. Even though MS does make Bing and Messenger apps for the iPad, I'd be very surprised if they release Office for any Apple product within the next year. Two reasons. One, it would take a year to develop anyway. Two, Office is a linchpin feature of Win Phone 7 and I'm sure they are going to keep that as a competitive advantage for a while. Even though Win Phone 7 is a great looking product, they need all the help they can get to compete with the iPhone.

So... we're looking at Documents to Go and QuickOffice as our only solutions. Pages works but not real well - maybe that will get better with updates too.

AppleiPad

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
They did say that. Even though MS does make Bing and Messenger apps for the iPad, I'd be very surprised if they release Office for any Apple product within the next year. Two reasons. One, it would take a year to develop anyway. Two, Office is a linchpin feature of Win Phone 7 and I'm sure they are going to keep that as a competitive advantage for a while. Even though Win Phone 7 is a great looking product, they need all the help they can get to compete with the iPhone.

Ummm, Office 2011 is coming out for Mac

Source

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
is it possible to work on pc with one doc and then open and work on it with ipad and then again open and work on it using pc...?

basically i want to work on the same doc from office (using pc) and at home (using IPAD

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Ummm, Office 2011 is coming out for Mac

Source

Totally different situation. When it comes to the full desktop version of Office, that division of Microsoft would be more interested in selling as many seats of Office as possible, regardless of the platform, than bolstering Windows sales through some sort of exclusive arrangement. Windows already has a huge part of the market and doesn't need any help. Besides, it wasn't long ago that Microsoft was defending themselves from claims of being a monopoly. Apple's existence actually helps them there.

When it comes to phones, on the other hand, Microsoft is making an extremely aggressive push back into the mainstream with Windows Phone 7. Apple is their chief competitor in this arena. WinPho 7 needs all the help it can get. Early demos of Office 2010 for Windows Phone look very slick and it's clear they are putting a lot of effort into it. I feel that means Office will be a linchpin feature of WinPho 7. They will plug that as a key reason to get a Windows Phone as opposed to Apple or Android. Why wouldn't they? I also expect to see Office be part of a Windows tablet push in a year or two, based on the Windows Phone OS in some form.

On the flipside, if they did sell a version of Office for the iPhone/iPad, they wouldn't be able to charge more than $20-30 for it. That's not a whole lot of cash to feed the beast that is Microsoft. So I don't see them being much motivated to give up a competitive advantage to sell low-cost mobile seats of Office.

Big companies like Microsoft are very compartmentalized and each compartment serves its own interests as best it can.

My prediction is that there's no way we will see true Office on an Apple mobile device for at least 1-2 years.

nj-mac-user

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
TX

Ha! I guarantee they will if ipad sales hit 10-20 million+. M$ won't turn down opportunities for profit just like I'm sure we would've never imagined an Office specifically for Mac OS.

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Totally different situation. When it comes to the full desktop version of Office, that division of Microsoft would be more interested in selling as many seats of Office as possible, regardless of the platform, than bolstering Windows sales through some sort of exclusive arrangement. Windows already has a huge part of the market and doesn't need any help. Besides, it wasn't long ago that Microsoft was defending themselves from claims of being a monopoly. Apple's existence actually helps them there.

When it comes to phones, on the other hand, Microsoft is making an extremely aggressive push back into the mainstream with Windows Phone 7. Apple is their chief competitor in this arena. WinPho 7 needs all the help it can get. Early demos of Office 2010 for Windows Phone look very slick and it's clear they are putting a lot of effort into it. I feel that means Office will be a linchpin feature of WinPho 7. They will plug that as a key reason to get a Windows Phone as opposed to Apple or Android. Why wouldn't they? I also expect to see Office be part of a Windows tablet push in a year or two, based on the Windows Phone OS in some form.

On the flipside, if they did sell a version of Office for the iPhone/iPad, they wouldn't be able to charge more than $20-30 for it. That's not a whole lot of cash to feed the beast that is Microsoft. So I don't see them being much motivated to give up a competitive advantage to sell low-cost mobile seats of Office.

Big companies like Microsoft are very compartmentalized and each compartment serves its own interests as best it can.

My prediction is that there's no way we will see true Office on an Apple mobile device for at least 1-2 years.

I agree with you that they are completely different markets but you clearly said "I'd be very surprised if they release Office for any Apple product within the next year. "

I'd called Mac OS X an Apple product.

wgary

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
is it possible to work on pc with one doc and then open and work on it with ipad and then again open and work on it using pc...?

basically i want to work on the same doc from office (using pc) and at home (using IPAD

Email your Word file to yourself from work. Open in Pages. Work away. Email it back to yourself from Pages in Word format. Repeat cycle. Or else just watch something on the ABC app or Netflix instead. We all need a break sometimes. :)

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
Ha! I guarantee they will if ipad sales hit 10-20 million+. M$ won't turn down opportunities for profit just like I'm sure we would've never imagined an Office specifically for Mac OS.

Pages and the other two iWork apps are some of the top selling/grossing apps at the moment in the US (So I read, I havent seen for myself as im in the UK).

If Microsoft were to release an Office suite for the iPad, the could charge what they wanted and would make a total killing. iWork is nice but 90% of people would prefer to use Microsoft stuff so they can easily create and edit .doc .xls .ppt files.

1,000,000 sold in less than a month is nothing to sniff at and im sure that Microsoft are thinking a bit more seriously about putting out office for the iPad.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
OP, you could give Documents to Go a try.

It works well for simple Word documents. They will be releasing an update for the iPad (free to existing owners).

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I agree with you that they are completely different markets but you clearly said "I'd be very surprised if they release Office for any Apple product within the next year. "

I'd called Mac OS X an Apple product.

Badly worded - my mistake. I only meant Apple portable products (ie. iPad and iPhone). I know that Office has been on the Mac for a long time.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
1,000,000 sold in less than a month is nothing to sniff at and im sure that Microsoft are thinking a bit more seriously about putting out office for the iPad.

If their push back into the mobile phone space weren't so fierce, I'd agree with you. In fact, I'm sure they are thinking about it. But I believe their desire to push WinPho 7 will trump all else for a while.

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
If their push back into the mobile phone space weren't so fierce, I'd agree with you. In fact, I'm sure they are thinking about it. But I believe their desire to push WinPho 7 will trump all else for a while.

Fair point. But that's only really an argument for them not making a iPhone version. But they could still make an iPad only version. They currently don't have any real competing product on the Market so it wouldn't hurt any device sales.

greezychicken

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2005
Does anyone know if that free MS Office online that's coming out in June will work with the iPad. Anyone hear news regarding that?

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Have they given and estimate on a release date?

thanks
JohnG

In the next couple of weeks, they said a week ago.

It will be a universal app, so it beats QuickOffice on all counts. Footnotes are important to many users and only D2Go includes them. I have used both QO and D2Go on the iPhone, where apart from endnotes they are pretty much the same.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
In the next couple of weeks, they said a week ago.

It will be a universal app, so it beats QuickOffice on all counts. Footnotes are important to many users and only D2Go includes them. I have used both QO and D2Go on the iPhone, where apart from endnotes they are pretty much the same.

Thanks a bunch.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Pages and the other two iWork apps are some of the top selling/grossing apps at the moment in the US (So I read, I havent seen for myself as im in the UK).

If Microsoft were to release an Office suite for the iPad, the could charge what they wanted and would make a total killing. iWork is nice but 90% of people would prefer to use Microsoft stuff so they can easily create and edit .doc .xls .ppt files.

I agree. If MS Office were available on iPad, they would have likely sold thousands of copies by now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.