iPad and new Ipod touch 4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ewolfe97, Sep 2, 2010.

1. ewolfe97 macrumors newbie

so i dont have any of these of course but i do not know what i want to get. in my classes i read lots of books and i love playing with my apps and the big screen helps. thats why i love the ipad. the ipod touch 4 though is smaller and doesnt have books but it has great display and has a camera. should i get the ipad or the ipod touch 4?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have kindle software on both iphone4 and iPad and while the screen on ip4 is great, I enjoy reading more on the iPad.

3. Nobita macrumors 6502

if i were you i'd buy ipod touch, maybe buy ipad when it's updated next year?

4. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

I agree with Nobita. I wouldn't buy the ipad right now. I'd wait for an improved revision in the future.

5. ewolfe97 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help. i want a little more opinions though

6. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

If you live anywhere near an apple store (or other vendor that has display models) go and have a good play with both.

I have both an iPad & iPhone4, and I wouldn't want to give up either. I tend to use the iPad more for reading, emailing, surfing, some writing and watching videos. The iPhone gets used mostly for information on the go, music, camera/video, ... oh... and as a phone (although that's not relevant to your decision).

Good luck with whatever you decide. I don't think you'll make a bad choice whichever you go for.

7. ewolfe97 thread starter macrumors newbie

just want a FEW more opinions. thanks for the help so far. though. i might be able to get both the ipod touch 4 AND the iPad but it would be sorta weird. i would use the ipod for pictures and facetime and for while im running and i would sometimes bring it to dinner with my family. i would use the ipad for movies, reading, specific apps, and pages(since update will have wireless printing). should i try to get the opportunity to get both or one or the other. or a macbook but no ipad or ipod touch.

8. ewolfe97 thread starter macrumors newbie

come on. still want more opinions. ipod 4g and ipad. only one of those. or macbook pro 13 inch but no ipod or ipad. i dont have another ipod so i would only have a macbook

9. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

At this point I would go for the ipod Touch 4th Gen. Not only because it's the newest product and has more features but also because it's the most portable and cheapest. You can always take good care of it buying cases and screen protection and sell it later for a decent price in case you change your mind go for the ipad.

10. pajamaboy macrumors newbie

Personally, I would buy the 4th gen iPod Touch because just as people have said, it has just been released and has the most updated tech. Two main pros for the iPod touch are portability (can be used as a PDA) and cameras (this allows for taking pictures & facetime). I also bet that the iPod Touch will be great for reading books because of the retina display. The iPad is only good because it has a bigger screen...

11. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

You've never tried to actually read a book on an iPod/iPhone, have you? Retina display or not, the screen is prohibitively small. It may be decent for quickly reading a news article or skimming a summary, but for reading a book, I think not.

... seriously? You think the only reason an iPad is good is because it has a bigger screen?
    /facepalm

You brought up a MacBook extremely late in the equation. Do you actually NEED a MacBook, or do you just want one? If you don't need one, then don't purchase one.
    You mentioned books for classes. I'll assume you're a college student and you're referring to textbooks. Do some research and find out if your textbooks are even available in some type of digital format. If they are, get the iPad. Your back will thank you.

If you are able to pick up an iPad, grab some type of iPod while you're at it. I'm not a fan of the iPod Touch at all, but if that's what tickles your pickle, then go for it.

12. Gakboi macrumors regular

if you can afford a macbook pro why not get both or get an iphone4 and then an ipad next year when they improve it

13. opera57 macrumors 6502

Definitely the iPad due to the bigger screen, I have both an iPad and an iPod touch (albeit the older model without the retina display) and the larger screen on the iPad is much more of a joy to use, less eye strain and can fit more (readable) content onto the screen! [​IMG]

14. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The first suggestions were that you get the Touch because it was just updated and then get the iPad later when it is updated. That's a logical suggestion but you wanted more suggestions. From this it seems clear to me that you really want the iPad. Eventually you are going to get both. Get the iPad if that is what you really want and don't worry about about what is logical. It's a personal decision.

15. vistadude macrumors 65816

Get an iphone. Reading textbooks on an ipad is pointless, especially when more than half of them aren't available in a digital format.