iPad iPad and Newspaper Apps

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BMW535i, Nov 11, 2014.

1. BMW535i macrumors member

Hi all,

I am considering my first iPad purchase, most likely an :apple: iPad Air 2 wifi only version, and trying to figure something out. If I subscribe to, say, the Wall Street Journal iPad edition, does it automatically download the morning's paper to the iPad overnight so that it can be read without a wifi signal? I ask this because I commute on the subway here in Chicago and want to read the "paper" during my commute to work.

Thanks,

BMW535i

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Not sure but you can probably find out by researching the WSJ app itself. Try google or something and see if you find out that way.

3. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

I have the app and I just open it up before I leave home... It will automatically download the new issue. I think the wsj app has a long way to go in terms of letting users choose which issues to keep, and select offline modes, etc. They just don't get it...

4. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

Can't comment on the WSJ app, but the NY Times iPad app will download overnight.

It is very convenient.

A couple of caveats: the content does get modified somewhat during the day. Also, some of the bigger graphics and photos are not automatically downloaded and will need an internet connection when reading that story.