iPad and OS X 10.7

Discussion in 'iPad' started by miknos, Jan 30, 2010.

1. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

I noticed Apple is spending more time/employees developing the iPhone/iPad OS than the OS X itself.

Could the OS used in the iPad be used as the new/future OS X versions?

For what I saw, the performance is simply amazing. Of course, you don't have the same amount of processes running in the background, but maybe they came with a better window management?

I don't agree with the app store, but it's a good way of Apple getting a stake from publishers. Maybe it's Apple's next step?

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

It's a mobile OS. It's not remotely suitable. There would be riots.
    I don't want to say not going to happen. But apple would face a huge backlash, developers would leave the sinking ship, people wouldn't buy apple computers any more. You can lock down single task (at a time) mobile devices, not proper computers.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No you haven't.
    :rolleyes:

4. miknos thread starter macrumors 6502a

miknos

But having more powerful processors, more applications could be open (multitasking). Press a button for exposé.

5. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

And how did you come to this conclusion?

6. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

I hope not! The mobile OS is not remotely compatible with the current programs (different architecture) and the OS itself is not suited to larger screens (the iPad proves this point). Also if they were to do this they would basically be making every current Mac sold incompatible because they don't have a touchscreen. And just try thinking about using a Mouse to manoeuvre the iPad interface on screens 24 inches and above. And this isn't like the PPC to Intel switch as if they did this is 10.7 there would be no warning and no backwards compatibility. So, though I see this happening in 10.9 or above not now.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

By not thinking and jumping to conclusions. Certainly whatever is presented on stage is the only thing apple has been working on since their last presentation. After all, its impossible to work in a massive company without working on the current flagship product, right? :rolleyes:

8. miknos thread starter macrumors 6502a

miknos

I can't cite the source but I remember hearing about Apple spending more time developing the iPhone. Maybe that's why OS X (10.6 I think) arrived with so many bugs/incomplete.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What a completely rational and well thought out statement. With evidence to boot! :rolleyes:

Seriously, and I'm just saying this from the perspective of hating speculation based on assumptions/opinions rather than fact, don't jump to conclusions that you have literally no way to back up.

10. miknos thread starter macrumors 6502a

miknos

When I say the OS, I mean User Interface. Could be a tendency?

11. johnnyhow macrumors regular

I'd jump straight back on the windows bandwagon if apple did ever take that path!

12. admanimal macrumors 68040

The OP is also making the assumption that OS X and iPhone OS are two exclusive entities, which is not the case. There is undoubtedly a lot of overlap in the code base, even if the GUI layer is totally different.

13. miknos thread starter macrumors 6502a

miknos

What I was trying to ask was if iOS was going to become the new Mac OS. I didn't meant the touchscreen but the window management.

The idea was to have ONLY fullscreen apps, so the ones not showing in screen use less RAM/CPU/GPU (just like iOS multitasking).

Going back when the iPad was shown, I got impressed by it speed. How can a A4 cpu open/run an application much faster than my 2.4 Core 2 Duo? The example was the iPhoto app. That's why it came thru my mind iOS becoming the new Mac OS.

14. emmab2006 macrumors member

Amazes me the Sheer Arrogance in these Forms these days like you all know everything its about time u all took a chill pill and relaxed

15. touchmonkey macrumors 6502

OK, wow that IS better.
    Thanks for that.:)

16. seajay96 macrumors 6502

That would really, really, really defeat the purpose of 20+" screens. I wouldn't even think twice about jumping back to windows in your cited case.

17. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

they spend more time on ios since they are still developing it and nurturing it to be complete, where as os x has been around for a long time and can hold its own better than ios. That is my opinion

18. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I agree generally, but the people are surprisingly civilized in this conversation. I'm willing to bet you haven't spent a lot of time in the PRSI section ;)

19. miknos thread starter macrumors 6502a

miknos

I believe you're the arrogant one. I didn't said I knew. I asked about the possibility of having fullscreen-only apps for performance.

The idea of showing/processing just what is shown is now new. Kyro II did that to video processing in 2000 (http://www.anandtech.com/show/558/4).

I'm just curious to know what technologies can be used to improve performance in mac os x (or any OS in general). I bought an iPad for my mom (who barely know how to use a PC) and I really like the performance of apps and wish Mac OS was as fast.

English is not my primary (fourth to be precise) language and I apologize for not expressing myself properly.

20. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Yes, the iPad Pro will be Apple iGadgets last computer. :apple:

21. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It's easy to say that because iOS gets all the events and attention. However, the evidence points to the contrary. We've received 7 versions of Mac OS X since 2001. In the middle of all that, Apple changed architectures and spun-off a mobile OS.

Jobs said Lion will ship in Summer 2011. That's 8 releases within 10.5 years. That's a hell of a lot more than our Windows counterparts.