ipad and photographers

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by matteusclement, Jan 21, 2011.

1. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

anyone here had experience in using an ipad to showcase their photography?
    also, anyone have experience with transfering their photos using a camera transfer kit (usb or SD card)?
    i am wondering if there can be a value added to my photography getting an ipad.

2. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

I use an iPad as a photo portfolio. Instead of me showing people my pix, I like how they can scroll through pix at their own pace. Very effective...

3. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

I used the camera connection kit on several vacations, including one to Paris where my partner and I took over 2000 pictures. No problems and quality was great.

4. tmagman macrumors 6502

does the connection kit retain the original resolution of the photos? or does it import them at lower resolution for the iPad (I shoot at 5184x3456 with my 7D and want to retain the resolution in the iPad if I download them to it, and then move them to my computer when i get home)

5. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

I believe it downloaded them 'as is' and it was one of the big questions I had with Apple before buying the IPad, as using it as storage while on trips was one of the chief selling points. As Neither camera shot/exported RAW format (Sony PnS cameras) so don't know if it handles that format. But the pictures were their original (3648x2736 is the one I just looked at) size.

6. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

2 reviews of portfolio apps to showcase your photography on the iPad:
    http://jonathanjk.com/2011/01/20/padport-ipad-app-review/
    http://jonathanjk.com/2011/01/04/foliobook-review/

directory of interviews with people who developed them (might be worth a read to find out how they use them):
    http://jonathanjk.com/interviews/

If you only shoot jpegs you can use the iPad as a repository, or some people have it setup so you can wirelessly preview your images as you shoot.

There is many ways you can get value, but what kind of value do you seek? Using the iPad as a digital portfolio is valuable because you have less need to carry a bulky printed portfolio. While other photographers will get value from using the larger screen of an iPad as a preview screen say in a studio environment.
    I personally take it with me on assignment to take field notes or show people the kind of shots I want. Or with an Internet connection we can do research together. Its uses are a million and one! :)

7. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

this sounds like what I had in mind.

Any basic photo touch up apps out there?

8. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

It's your choice, of course, but I'd think twice before doing any editing on the iPad. I transfer the pix I want to show from my iMac to the iPad, but only when they're as I want them. Editing on the iMac... presentations on the iPad...

9. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

I still don't get why portfolio apps are necessary to SHOW people photos unless you want to have multiple client photos all on there at once, which i think is unprofessional because you might inadvertently click on them anyway. For showing off your own generic portfolio, what is wrong with the photos app built in? It's all I use and it works perfectly fine...
    I'd rather keep the organization of photos in one place (Aperture in my case) and sync automatically to keep the iPad up to date.. I have 0 maintenance nowadays and have always with me what I want to show off.

the iPad is a great addition to show off your portfolio to clients or importing photos (even RAW) from the camera straight. I use the CCK all the time and import on the run. THe previews that are generated are about double of the iPad resolution but the RAW is kept untouched and then imported to your app on the Mac (again, Aperture in my case).

just my 2 cents.

10. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

this sounds amazing.

any word on if you can transfer the video files over from lets say a canon t2i? if I could preview my work in the field this bad boy... I might die and go to heaven.

11. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

12. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

A lot of people don't get why the iPad is necessary...

The Photo application while capable, is boring and limited for those who value a bit more style when presenting their work. Spare a thought for those photographers who want to incorporate intro and caption text into their galleries. Some photographers will want more customisation options and incorporate video. Some other creative types might want to craft a specific home screen with which to brand themselves with.

Why not try the Xtrafolio App for free and see what these types of Apps are trying to do beyond the standard Photo App.

13. mtbdudex, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

are any of you using the iPad instead of laptop for bigger live view?

I'm getting iPad2 tonight :D , and look fwd to that for my astrophotography shots, where 10x live view and manual focus is best way to get crisp shots.
    Should work fine, hooking up my T1i to it under video mirroring mode?
    T1i video ut vis HDMI, into the iPad via Apple Digital AV Adapter ...
    http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
    edit
    or this is the correct thing? Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531

via POTN
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1010574&highlight=ipad+live+view

14. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

As far as I know, there is no way to display the camera's live view on the iPad.

15. snberk103 macrumors 603

I haven't tried it yet, but I Think Phase One (Capture One v6) and their Capture Pilot iPad app enables the iPad to show/work with the Capture One screen. The Capture One software, when tethered to a camera that supports live view, should be able to be seen on the iPad. Anyway, I will know more later. The app is downloaded, but I haven't been able to set it up with the C1 software yet.

16. gameface macrumors 6502

You can but you need your camera connected to a laptop and then your ipad connected to the same wifi network. It's a PITA but it works. I personally can't wait until this is possible direct to the ipad w/o the laptop.

17. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

My wife and I use the camera connection kit with our 7d. We shoot raw only.

Transferring the photos to the iPad is pretty quick (we use an compact flash reader connected via usb to the ipad kit, but the camera connected to the iPad usb kit directly also works fine).

The photos are viewable on the iPad even though they are raw files. When connecting the iPad to our mac, the photos import as the original raw files (the same they came off the compact flash card) to Aperture.

Works pretty well. We like to use it to have a bigger screen to check out the photos we've taken before we get home.

18. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

I have an iPad, and decided for a few dollars more (few hundred), I can get a MacBook Air, this is nearly the same sizes, and allows me to start post processing of images away from my Mac. I would want to use the iPad for this, but the iPad, cannot handle batches (there is one app I have that does very basic), the iPad as to many limitations, like the sharing of files between apps, there is not common area, and even between Apples own apps, you cannot share (say you made a song in Garageband on the iPad and want to use it in iMovie on the iPad, not possible without a sync to your own MAC/PC).

we all have different needs, and I find that a MBA, is more flexible, faster, can add extra storage easily.

19. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

It's curious to me that Apple seems to have gone out of their way with the last two iPad launches to develop apps that go beyond consumption... Pages, numbers, keynote, and now iMovie, and GarageBand. But noticeably absent is Aperture or even iPhoto despite the availability of the camera connection kit. Surely a still photo management and adjustment app would be at least as profitable as a movie editing app? Yet they seem content to leave this to third party developers for now. Odd.

20. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1, suddenly your gallery has interactivity. Its a very very nice showcase tool. Although I don't do much photography anymore I still have people who want to see it and they always take the iPad over the prints to look at my stuff. (And the prints and folio cost more then the iPad :eek:)

21. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Probably for three reasons:

1) Library issues/conflicts with your main Aperture/iPhoto library. Does it sync with other libraries or reference them like iTunes does?
    2) Officially endorsing some kind of photo creation would mean providing the hardware such as decent ports or accessories.
    3) The photography market can serve itself at the moment whereas Apple needed to show off something flashy for the second iPad, something like movie editing.

Maybe the 3rd iPad will cater to the photographers.