iPad iPad and productivity... iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fireball Dragon, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

With Apple now naming the 9.7" iPad as "Air", speculations are surfacing about a possibly larger screen iPad (perhaps iPad Pro?) coming soon.

As I do a fair bit of productivity work on my iPad already (pages, keynote, note taking apps, Evernote, etc), I am tempted to play the waiting game, although I do think a 128GB LTE iPad air would be excellent for some productivity, considering the powerful A7 chipset.

Okay, so this isn't really a question, but any thoughts on this?

2. rovex macrumors 65816

Nothing will be announced until iOS 8 which hopefully will allow for split screen multitasking.

Surely that's more important than any spec for a pro tablet.

3. isephmusic macrumors 6502

i played with a surface pro 2, opened up Paint and man did it feel sooooo good to FINALLY be able to place wrist on a tablet but draw and write ACCURATELY with the pen that comes with it

wish apple made a tablet with digitizer screen and wrist detection. it really felt awesome. if the surface pro wasn't 800 bucks and was a tad lighter i woulda jumped on it asap

4. hologram macrumors 6502

The Air is real, the Pro isn't. It's just a rumor. You could be waiting for years, or even forever, if it never gets past the rumor stage. There isn't a single shred of evidence for it's development, beyond wishful thinking.

The grass is always greener, ya know? Unless what's left of it is in the ashtray! :D

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Yea, a big rumor at this point, though some take it more serious than others. If you scroll down a page, you will find some threads on this, after the wide number of repeat threads tied to the rollout of the Air this week.

6. Mainsail, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

Mainsail macrumors 6502a

Tablets are great for content consumption, productivity, and light content creation. For heavy lifting, it's best to use a desktop or laptop. Only you can decide if you frequently need to do heavy lifting whilst away from your office or desktop. Here is my list:

1. Content consumption (tablet)
    Music
    Video
    Movies
    Streaming content
    eBooks
    Web browsing
    Maps and Directions
    Photos
    Games
    Social media (e.g. Facebook and Twitter)

2. Productivity and Light Content Creation (tablet)
    Email
    Messaging
    Calendar
    Contacts
    Reminders
    Notes
    PDF Review and annotation (e.g Good reader)
    Cloud files and document management (e.g. Dropbox)
    Simple document creation and editing (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote)
    Financial Tracking and e-banking (e.g. Mint)
    Access work related databases (e.g. LogMeIn)
    Light photo editing and management (e.g. iPhoto, Flickr)
    Simple slideshow and movie creation (e.g. iMovie)

3. Moderate to Heavy Content Creation (laptop or desktop)
    Writing long papers and reports (to some extent, this can done with a tablet + bluetooth keyboard)
    Developing and editing moderately large or complex spreadsheets
    Developing lengthy or complex presentations
    Creating and manipulating databases and reports
    Video and music editing and creation

When away from your office, if you mainly do stuff on lists 1&2, then a tablet should be fine and the iPad Air would be great. If you do a lot of stuff on list 3 when away from your office or desktop, then you need a laptop or you might want to wait for some kind of next generation device. I should mention that I know a fair number of professionals in responsible positions (CFO, Fund Manager, VP Manufacturing etc) that do real work and go iPad only when on business travel. They simply save the heavy lifting for back at the office.