iPad and Project Gutenberg

Discussion in 'iPad' started by baby duck monge, May 8, 2010.

1. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

I was thinking about getting my mom an iPad, but before I do I have a quick question.

My understanding is that you can read books from Project Gutenberg on your iPad. My question is whether those books are paginated like a book you would buy in iBooks or whether they are just one looooong document that you scroll through.

If anyone has any experience with this or is willing to download one of them real quick and give it a look, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. macbanjo macrumors member

macbanjo

iPad and Project Gutenberg books

Yes' They are paginated like a book you would buy in iBooks
    I've downloaded a few so far.

3. bbtrinet macrumors member

I've downloaded free Gutenberg books through both Apple's iBooks app, and the free 'Free Books' app. Both paginate the books so it looks like you're reading a real book.

iBooks only has about 200 or so Gutenberg books, while FreeBooks has them all.

4. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Absolutely ALL iBooks (including those of Project Gutenberg) in iBookstore are paginated with all the same features and visual effects.

5. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

Only thing about them is there is no cover art, so they all look the same in bookshelf mode. And one I tried with "experimental" images is messed up. But a great source nonetheless.

6. baby duck monge thread starter macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Thanks, guys (and maybe gals, too). That's exactly what I needed to know. Looks like mom will be getting an iPad.

7. McMack macrumors member

iBooks does have all the Gutenbergs, you just have to search for them specifically.

Initially I was a little disappointed to find only a few Gutenberg books out on show. When I went looking for Anton Chekhov and didn't find him I did specific searches by title and found every single one of them. I checked with other authors and titles and everything really is there. Many classics are on iBooks in current, paid editions, so it's not really in the store's interests to showcase every free edition.