iPad and Projector Incompatibility

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Kashchei, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I own a MC707LL/A iPad and just purchased a 30-pin to VGA connector so that I could use Keynote at an upcoming (Monday & Tuesday) conference. I tried the equipment out today at my office and once everything was hooked up, I got an error message on my iPad with words to the effect that "this device is incompatible with this iPad." If I traded in my 30-pin to VGA connector for a lightening model, could I use my iPad mini, or is this a problem of a different sort? Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated--I'm flying out on Sunday!

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

That error message suggests the 30-pin-to-VGA adaptor is bogus in some way-- not compliant with Apple's standards. If it is a knockoff from some no-name supplier, there you go. Stick with Apple or name-brand suppliers such as Belkin, Monoprice and Amazon's house models. Look for the "Made for iPad" logo, which is at least suggestive of a proper licensing and implementation approach.

Note you can have the same issue with a Lightning version!

Having said all that, I've yet to met a projector that doesn't work with my Apple iDevice-to-VGA adaptors, both 30-pin and Lightning. The compatibility is far superior to that of my pre-Mac Windows laptops. And Keynote rules-- it's so much better than PowerPoint it's almost disgraceful that Microsoft can still sell that stuff. Just be sure to plug in your adaptor & projector before launching the presentation.

3. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

The strange thing is that I bought the adaptor from the Apple store. Could it have been damaged in transit?

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Doubtful, but you never know. I'd say: go to a local Apple Store if you can get to one, and take your iPad with you and show them the error. Something's not-right, and maybe just swapping the adaptor for a new one will get you going. Or call AppleCare and ask them what's going on.

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

An ipad mini uses the lightning port. If you are using the 30-pin to lightning adaptor to connect your vga adaptor to your iPad mini, that's your problem right there. The adaptor doesn't support video output, only audio, charging and syncing.

You will need the lightning to vga adaptor, which isn't cheap, but it should get the job done.