ipad and remote desktop?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by matteusclement, Feb 12, 2011.

1. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

just got an ipad.
    it would be awesome if I could access my files on my home pac pro.
    What app would I need and how would i set it up.
    I have a MP w/ 10.6.3 and use shaw cable + airport extreme
    ipad w/ 4.2.1

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Logmein, Splatop for the iPad both work over 3G. These both allow you to control your desktop remotely. ZumoCast allows you to access all of your files remotely and less laggy over 3G. Is it jailbroken or not though?

3. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

not jailbroken. that tethered stuff sounds like a lame duck.

4. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

iOS 4.2.1 can be jailbroken with untethered GreenPois0n now.

5. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

6. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

Google is your friend!!!:D I got the link from 9to5 macs story on it.

7. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

When I first bought my iPad I searched for an App to remotely access my Mac and also PCs and servers belonging to my clients. The best app I found was LogMeIn, which I considered worth purchasing due to the business use I give to it.
    My second best app would be TeamViewer Free, but only if you are going to use it to access a very limited number of Computers ("Personal Use"); otherwise they may limit your access.
    There are some other apps that support Remote Desktop, but may require you to either have a static IP address or know your IP when it changes, and open a port on your router/firewall.

8. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

9. Maaz macrumors 6502a

10. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

nOOb question here... how would i set my IP to be static? Cuz it sounds like no matter what software I use, I will have to have a static address...

11. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Do you mean you have a dynamic ip atm and want a static one?

12. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

13. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

You need a dynamic dns service like dyndns.com, and then you need to port-forward on your router port 5900 to the computer you want to remote into. Assign that computer a static IP on your LAN, like 192.168.1.201 or something.

Then you can VNC into your machine via the dynamic dns form an ipad, iphone, or any other VNC client.

14. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

As someone stated above, you could use DynamicDNS when you can't get a static IP. It works with an application that you'll have to install on your Computer, or depending on your router, some already have a DynamicDNS client built-in, such as D-Link, and probably Netgear and hopefully
    Regardless of what DynamicDNS approach you take, you'll still need to open a port in your firewall..

LogMeIn doesn't require a static IP or opening ports in your firewall. And one account can be used to access multiple computers.

But if it's for personal use, try TeamViewer first. It's free for personal use.

15. baummer macrumors 6502a

Or, if you are running a Linksys router, you manually assign the computer an IP outside of the DHCP range. So, if you router starts the DHCP range at 192.168.1.100, set your computer's IP to 192.168.1.80 or something similar (just not 192.168.1.1 as that is reserved for the router), and your IP will never change.

16. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I use SplashTop Remote to use my MacBook from my iPad and Zumocast to access my MacBook's files on my iPad. Both work great and don't cost very much ($1.99 and free respectively). It's cool running OSX on a touchscreen.

17. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

whoa.
    little over whelmed, and I like to think that I am tech savy.

SO, I have an AIRPORT EXTREME, so all that stuff about linksys and such is out the window. but can I still set my computers IP address?

18. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you use logmein ignition you do not need a static ip address. It's very simple to setup.

Download app
    Download program for your computer
    Sign in to app job done.

The app is universal so a bargain really.

19. Zcott macrumors 68020

Another vote for LogMeIn. The app isn't cheap but it's well worth it for remote access.

20. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

How is that going to help him? It's the external IP address that is the issue. You would either have to get your ISP to assign you a fixed address, which can get quite expensive, or use one of the dynamic IP update clients. They can be a pain and be flaky.

Logmein is by far the best solution. I use it every day on my Mac, iPad, iPhone. You don't have to worry about IP addresses. I've been using Logmein just about since it came out.

21. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

Most of the easy to use remote access apps have a client that runs on the machine you want to remotely access. That client keeps track of your machines location/ip and works with the remote access client to establish a connection and/or do the remote controlling. Depending on the quality of the app it takes care of things like dynamic ips, routers, firewalls etc.

A few in this category include Logmein, iTeleport, WysePocketCloud, Desktop. Often the host apps are free but you have to pay for the client app and or the service that tracks the host and brokers the connection.

I particularly like iTeleport as it's inexpensive and I've seen it get through complex corporate firewalls where no other app would. Lately for cross platform stuff (iOS and Android clients accessing OSX and Win hosts) Ive used Wysepocketcloud and it's been quite good too. I've use Logmein but don't like the security of their free service and their paid one if fairly expensive - also it's nit as fast or smooth as some others. Lots of pretty good remote access products out there for the iPad.

22. cfs macrumors 6502a

I am in search of what the OP is looking for as well. Ideally I am looking for a remote access program that will allow for remote startup as I am sometimes away.

When I am local I use TeamViewer Free, as Amazing Iceman mentioned. My only issue is that I need someone on the other end to get me connected. Unless I am doing it wrong which is a great possibility. I love the app though.

I was about to buy LogMeIn Ignition because I read it had remote access to turn on ones computer, but then I just read the new update doesn't include this anymore. can anyone shed light on this one?

Thanks, Sorry for posting on your thread OP but I am interested in the same pursuit so I hope its OK.

-CFS