iPad mini iPad and RMini combo?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by patseguin, Nov 17, 2013.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I have a 128GB Air and am intrigued with the RMini. Besides trying to figure out if I need both, I see people buy smaller models like 16 or 32. I suppose I could find some way to make 32 work since my phone is 32, but how are you guys buying the 16 make it work? It must be limited on apps and media.

2. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I now always buy the lowest model of any iPad. With Spotify Netflix, and Dropbox, I have no need to store a lot of files locally. And that allows me to keep everything synced across devices.

I have an unlimited data plan on my iPhone and I do all my music listening on the go from it via Spotify.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't see a need for two tablets. You'l end up gravitating to one tablet more then the other. I'd say pick which one best suits your needs and don't get the other.

4. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I guess you are trying to figure out if you want both. If there was a need, it would have been more apparent. :D

5. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

I'm in a similar position, I have a 128gb air but am intrueged by the light weight/more portable mini. Was thinking of a 32gb mini... Does anyone have both iPads and use them both for different enough things to justify keeping both? :)

6. lindafus macrumors member

lindafus

I use both!

------------------------------

I purchased an iPad Air LTE 32 and then went out and purchased a rMini 32 wifi. I keep the rMini in my purse (I did that with the mini 1 also) I use the iPad Air in the house and have at least one of them with LTE which I find I only use when there are power outages. I need only one LTE why waste 130 bucks?

I use all the Clouds for storage, as well as DropBox so, 32 gb seems to be right for me. I have yet to find a place that does not pick up wifi in my lifestyle so wifi for rMini works fine. I have used this method since last sept when I purchased the first mini. It is now a routine standard equipment for me! :D

7. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I have a 3rd-generation iPad, a 1st-generation iPad mini (now my wife's), and the iPad mini retina. The minis are primarily work devices, while the full-sized iPad has become something of a home device.

If I were using my retina iPad mini purely for home and casual outside use, I would probably sell the larger iPad. The mini is more portable and now matches the screen of the larger iPad. The physically larger display is nice, but it doesn't justify keeping the device around if you also have the mini. I keep because I work in healthcare and don't care to sanitize my iPad mini to "bring to bed" standards every day.

TL;DR: stick to one device unless you have a need for two physically separate devices (or unless you're so well-off that you can afford both).

8. bizzy045 macrumors 6502

bizzy045

I have both and find it useful. I use the Air at home on the couch to surf the web and watch videos. I use the rMini in bed to read and take it everywhere I go. Of course there is no need for two. But ask yourself is there even a NEED for one? These devices enhance my lifestyle greatly for what I'm looking for but it's not something that I or anyone necessarily needs.

9. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

The mini is going back to the Apple Store today. I use my iPad on the subway train. The mini is lighter but the only time I notice the Air is heavier is when I am at home.

10. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for this post, it helped with my decision :)

11. decon1 macrumors member

Waiting for delivery on Ipad mini retina 32GB Verizon.

Amazon had a deal for refurb Nexus 7. For $150, had to bite.

12. Cyloncat macrumors regular

Cyloncat

I have both and will keep both. Even after 1 day with the mini, I can see that they are different devices.

The Air will get some light productivity (nice design tools from Adobe and others), some video, lots of surfing, as well as an app development test device.

The rMini will live in my purse for true portability. It's primarily for e-reading and music... Apple finally released an iOS device that can hold my entire music collection! I don't think we'll ever see a 128GB iPod touch, so this finally retires my iPod classic.

As far as usage patterns in general, the iPad was quite a revolutionary device compared to the iPhone, both in display size and pixels. It enabled a lot of new apps that could never have worked on a phone-sized device. With the rMini, the pixel count is the same as the Air, but it does feel like it would be cramped for some apps.

13. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

This! Unless you just want to blow money, but there are plenty other dope things that you can blow that bread on.

14. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure I really get the people who say they want the mini for true portability. Do you guys not have an iPhone? That to me is the ultimate in portability and good enough on the go.

15. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

You couldn't be more right. The Air is the tablet that I need and use all the time. The RMini I just want for the cool factor in think.

16. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Have you ever tried to read long articles on an iPhone? How about articles with charts and graphs? I tried doing it for about a week and then bought an iPad mini.

Granted, my use case is work-related and not related to brief reads to pass the time faster. But now that I have it, I'll bring it with me to read books and news articles. The iPhone is the most portable iOS device that you can buy, but it represents a huge compromise on screen size (both physical and virtual). It's fine for text messages, emails, and some web browsing, but it's not such a pleasure when it comes to extended reading.

17. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

My rMini is content consumption only really, as well as a few small apps.

18. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

The 16gb non retina and 32gb retina are sort of equal. I picked up the 16gb non retina because I could not spend the $519 on the mini. The retina apps and movies take up more space then the the compressed/lower resolution. I would say 16gb is fine on non retina but you will want more on the retina one.

19. decon1 macrumors member

Iphone still too small to read things. Maybe the Iphone 6 with larger screen would be better.

Although web pages with Iphone use less data than Ipad, from a data standpoint.