iPad and senior adults

Discussion in 'iPad' started by c.s., Aug 10, 2010.

1. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

Anyone have older family members (like 80+) using an iPad? I'm curious if seniors who have been resistant to using a computer are using an iPad to keep in touch with family, surf the web, etc. -- maybe my grandmother would enjoy it.

2. AdamN macrumors newbie

iPad and seniors is a winner

My wife's Mother's friend's mother got an iPad a few months ago. This is the FIRST computer she's ever had and she loves it. There is no better 'computer' for a first time leisure user in my opinion.

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

My idiot brother-in-law got my idiot 84-year-old mother-in-law a ThinkPad so she can participate in the wonderful world of email. He lives 2,000 miles away. Guess who tech support is? An iPad would have been ideal.

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Sell the thinkpad, get her an ipad ;)

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I'd love to, except for two things:
    1) The ThinkPad was a cheap refurb, so selling it won't return much $$;
    2) She's still got the first nickel she ever had. Cheap is too kind a word. I'd have to foot the iPad bill.
    If I could buy her an iPad and stick the ThinkPad up my brother-in-law's colonoscopy port, I might think about it.

6. jgayman macrumors member

My mother, 70+ has always wanted a computer. She wants to "get on the Internet". The problem is she struggles with the TV remote. :) She wouldn't last 30-mins with a real computer before she clicked the wrong thing and hosed it up. After I bought an iPhone I got the notion that the iPad might be the perfect device for her. So I bought her an iPad and it has been the perfect tool. She can surf the web, get email, browse eBay, etc. with no hassles at all. And no matter how stuck she gets she can hit the Home button and be back at the beginning. She's only had it a couple days and already is comfortable with checking the electronic newspaper, weather, eBay, etc. We're still working on the nuances of email but it would be even worse on a notebook. :D

7. pakrat77 macrumors newbie

My wife got her 76 year old mother a iPad for her birthday/mothers' day. She loves it. Though I think she reads more books on it than anything else.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I'm actually surprised that elderly people are getting on well with the iPad.

1st let me say the iPad is great (as long as you just accept it for what it is and can do)

Knowing someone elderly myself who is totally (and I mean TOTALLY) tech scared, an iPad would still seem a very complicated device.

Things we all take for granted would be totally alien to them, I don't see the iPad as a device for elderly people who have never used a computer of the Internet.

One issue I'd have is that whilst apps may be fine, web page controls are just way too small.

Web pages are generally made for much larger screens and fine pointing devices.

Having a forum, with 5 pages, and you wish to hit page 3 takes care and a tip of the finger even for me!

Arrows, page numbers and links on many web sites are often very small and close together.

9. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

My 65 year old mother and 69 year old father love the iPad I bought for them. They have a 24" iMac, so they're not new to computers, but they can't sit on the couch with the iMac!
    Now my mother wants an iPhone...

10. Caraj macrumors member

Yes I see that as a problem but that is where the easy quick 2 finger zoom works wonders. I use it all the time to click small links. And if you still cant see. zoom it in more. And I think for the most part they will use it more for email/news/books/games/.. not so much real web pages although based on the amount of unopened boxes my mother in law has, Im sure she will be hitting up amazon and walmart online daily with the ipad.

11. maniacphoner macrumors regular

Hahaha
    It's cute how your mom wants an iPhone. Your parents are technology friendly..!! I wish my mom was...

12. jasg49 macrumors member

My 83 year old mother has an iPad Nano (Touch) glued to her left hand. Photos, Sudoku, Words with Friends and iBooks.

I see an iPad in her future.

(She has had a Mac for almost 15 years)

13. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

My 87 year old grandma has an iMac G5 (and had an LCIII before that). she doesn't get online with it though, i think the iPad 3G would be perfect for her, but i don't think it will happen.

Maybe i could hope that my idiot west coast relatives thought of it on their own and buy her one..... Of course, she might not use it if they did anyway.

My parents have touches - but they aren't techno phobic and don't count in that area... My Dad used to launch rockets in the 70's and has a MacPro and runs final cut studio.... Lol!

14. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Hey, watch it, kiddo.......65 isn't that old!!! I am that age....true, there were not many of us Seniors waiting in line for the iPad WiFi on Launch Day, or the iPad 3G on its launch day, or for the iPhone 4 on the day it was available for the first time.....but there were a few of us. Actually, some of us were using computers and exploring new tech stuff before you were born. Me, I love my technology and am usually an early adopter. Oh, yeah,I am typing this on my iPad while sitting on my deck on a sultry summer evening. LOVE my iPad and my iPhone (yup, been rocking one of those since the first one was launched back in 2007!). Your mom would love the iPhone4........

15. iFerd macrumors 6502a

My wife encouraged her 85 year old mother to get an iPad, which she did. She never used a computer before in her life, and she was pretty reluctant about the iPad. But she loves it. She is about 1000 miles away, so there is lots of holding hands by telephone going on right now, but she is doing email for the first time in her life, watching family pictures on Facebook, and streaming Netflix movies. It's been an exceptional experience for her.

It's revealing to learn what about computing isn't obvious. When, for example, was the last time you had to think about words wrapping in an editor instead of using the return key at the end of each line?

16. pumazooma macrumors member

pumazooma

I showed my iPad to my parents who are 70+.
    They were both astounded at how great it was from the moment they saw the screen rotate.

My dad said 'so can you read books on it?' After showing him ibooks and changing fonts and sizes and bookmarks and the dictionary if you don't know a word he wondered if there was anything it didn't do :) Just at that moment it started to rain heavily and he said oh I wonder if the weather will be ok tomorrow. A quick tap on accuweather told him.

They loved the standard stuff like maps, movies, email and photos.

17. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

No disrespect intended, of course. Though I'd say not too many people were playing with computers before I was born. Some people were - researchers and engineers - sure, but in 1969 most people didn't interact with them on any kind of regular basis.

18. spadiner macrumors newbie

iPad and Seniors

My 90-year old Mom uses an iPad for a variety of tasks. She is using several apps which are part of the Simple Suite. This is a set of apps that I found designed for seniors and other beginners. She writes a diary and keeps a notepad.

19. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

My 76 year old mom likes to bowl on my iPad, 300 Bowl app. She has the two highest scores :eek: . Though I'm not sure she gets the idea of how to surf or check email, I don't have the patience to teach her.

20. Ttruvjr macrumors newbie

Grandmother

My grandmother expressed to my mother that she felt out of touch with everyone since we all live relatively far away from her. So I traded off my MacBook and got her an iPad. I uploaded it with simple apps (bingo, solitaire, iBooks) and made her a Facebook account. She was so excited when I gave it to her :) she went out and got wifi set up at her house. I rarely see updates on her Facebook page and email her weekly, but even if she enjoys it just for solitaire and the occasional use of email I am happy :)

21. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Putting all criticism aside, I recommended the iPad to a few senior members of our family. Sadly, the 'pad' bit didn't go down very well.

You also have to consider arthritis and the current model is heavy. Reflections are also an issue. Finally, elderly people get discouraged by the iPad ads. It's to pushy and active for them, in my experience.

22. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I vote for up the port.

23. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

My 85 year old father loves his iPad. He got it mainly for an eBook reader. He has poor vision and loves to read. The small print in paperback books was giving him eye strain, so his eye doctor suggested he try the iPad as a reader.

When he saw how bright the iPad was, and the way the type could be enlarged, he was sold. He also likes the way you can look up words as you are reading. He turns off the two lights he used to have use to read with and now sits in a dimly lit room to read.

Everyday he tells me about something terrific he just discovered the iPad could do. Sort of reminds me of the way a new parent talks about their new baby.

Says it is very handy to be able to check his email before going to bed, instead of going to his office to check. He has started using a weather app, news app , and photo app.

He did have trouble holding it, thought it was slippery and afraid he would drop it, or it would slide out of his lap. The Apple iPad cover solved that problem. He is a happy, happy man with his iPad. :)

24. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Well, if they are both idiots, my guess is that you are the tech support. :D

Seriously, I hope not. And I totally agree — the iPad is a great device for seniors who don't want to learn how to operate and maintain a full-fledge computer.

25. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

76 year old arthritic mom can easily hold onto an iPad. How many times does it have to be said, it's not heavy. Not even close to heavy.