iPad and Smart Cover have served me well

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 0m3ga, Aug 7, 2012.

1. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

It has been almost a year and a half since I got my iPad2 and the smart Cover. Got them both when they were released. Well, got the smart Cover first. iPad took an extra week to get from my home in the US to overseas in England. Apple is anti-military. They won't ship to military APO and FPO addresses even though it is exactly the same as shipping to New Jersey.

Anyway, I digress. My black leather smart Cover is ripping open along the metal spine. And the folds are almost use less as the cover. Just flops around. But considering all the flights I have been on through Ryan Air in Europe, American on both International and domestic flights, plus the abuse in have given it by throwing it in and out of my backpack, I really can't complain!

And the nice rubber Targus case cover on the back has been perfect, along with the Carbon Fiber Skin-it I had on the back before I got the Targus. My iPad is still flawless.

Time to move on though. Sells ng my 64gb iPad2 and looking, or should I say that acting patiently, for news on the iPad mini, looking at a Transformer, Galaxy Note 10.1 and Nexus 7. Lots of choices, but not doing anything until I see the iPad mini specs.

The smart Cover at 65 USD will last you a year and a half, with this abuse. Treat it nice and ymmv. Apple does make some really good crap. ;-)

[​IMG]

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I don't think it's because their Anti-Military, but rather once they hand the package off to the military post system, insurance coverage is out the window, and there isn't any protection for the package if it gets roughed up. Might be a Fedex/UPS limitation too..same reason.

3. urkel macrumors 68030

My leather smart cover lasted nearly as long. The problem wasn't wear and tear, but the glue they use. The layers just started separating which made it unusable. From what I hear the poly ones last much longer.

4. DKatri macrumors 6502

I'm sorry that you had to go through this :rolleyes:. I hate Ryan Air.

5. iphonenub macrumors regular

6. hismikeness macrumors regular

I got a gray poly smart cover when the iPad 2 came out, and I am now using it with the new iPad, so it's about a year and a half old. It is still in good shape, thought the weight of the new iPad stresses the triangle fold when it is standing up, so it's a little easier to tip over backwards. My only complaint was the marks it left on the side of both iPads, but nothing major.

7. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

The smart cover is so ridiculously overpriced... it angers me.

8. iphonenub macrumors regular

...but buying a ridiculously overpriced tablet doesn't?

9. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Me too. I flew with them once (or well, twice if you count the way back). At first I thought "Ryan Air can't be as bad as people say". First flight was a total mess (compared to other companies), seats were even worse (less space) and during my first flight with them they managed to literally break my suitcase.

RyanAir is nice for short distances (because they're so cheap and fly so often), but I wouldn't want to be in such a plane for 3, 4, 5 hours.

10. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Touche. ;)

I suppose I feel the value of the iPad is warranted, whereas the Smart Cover isn't as worth the value.

11. iphonenub macrumors regular

Yea most people don't realize that it's not a case. I was worried about them because of the bad reviews, but then I realized that they were upset because it doesn't protect the device... People are stupid.

12. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

I have the poly one and it's been about a year and a half as well. It's still in very good shape. No rips of any kind. But it has gotten pretty dirty and my bright green is now streaked with gray and brown. yuck :p I think I might purchase another one just because it's gotten so dirty but it really is very durable.

13. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

exactly its not a case,so it wont protect the screen it just covers it!