ipad and tethering - how big of a data plan is needed?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by jayhay, Apr 21, 2010.

1. jayhay macrumors member

Basically, I live in Canada, so tethering from the iPhone is an option through Rogers. I called today to set it up, and found out that you need to have at least a 1gb data plan to have it enabled. I have a 500mb plan and I never even use it all. However, when I spoke to the representative, she stressed that tethering uses a lot more data and that the 1gb plan would most likely not be enough. At this point, I am looking to tether the iPhone to my iPad for very light usage - like checking my email and surfing simple forums like this one. I might also check my Face Book and check on some of my games that require a social network. I doubt that I would be even using the tethering option more than 20 minutes to half an hour a day. Based on your experience, is the 1gb really too small a data plan for light internet usage through tethering? Does anybody here use an iPad tethered on a 1gb plan? Do you go over your usage?

2. err404 macrumors 68020

I consume 20MB-50MB an hour doing light browsing on my iPad. Obviously YMMV. So long as you arn't doing do too much streaming of audio or video, you should be OK. Browsing from an iPad is a bit lighter then with a laptop, since pages do not need to load flash content.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Why not try 1GB for a month and see how much you consume.

4. jayhay thread starter macrumors member

b/c the representative I spoke with today told me that once I upgrade to the more expensive plan, I am stuck with it for the duration of my contract. Basically, if I the 1gb is not going to be enough, I am not going to bother with the whole thing (I do not wan to add 25 bucks to my bill for the unlimited data plan )

5. blubyu macrumors member

On my last trip I left the macbook at home and took the iPad. I have mywi installed on my 3G iPhone, so I used that to tether. After three days of browsing on my iPad I had used up over 850MB worth of data. This was browsing just a couple of different forums (macrumors, 600rr.net, pnwriders.com). I was a little shocked that I had used that much.

6. err404 macrumors 68020

I find the MyFi data counter to be inaccurate. It will frequently show 100MB before I even connect my iPad. OP is requiring a maximum of 15 hours a month of light browsing. It'll be close, but I think he'll slip under.

7. nasa25 macrumors 65816

Depends on how much you plan to tether. I have the Rogers 6gb plan and will probably use around 4gb a month tethering my iphone to iPad during the day while at work.

For browsing, 1gb might be enough, most likely not though. Then again, you can stagger your usage so you don't exceed the cap.

Sorry didn't see that you would only use it for 30 min a day. 1gb would be enough most likely, but be sure to lock down the mywi (I didn't and one of my coworkers raped it for 100mb within 10 min)

8. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

this is assuming you've jail broken your iPhone, correct?

9. nasa25 macrumors 65816

Yes